NEED HELP!! Possibly Hypothermic kid?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JJPMasters, Dec 11, 2013.

1. JJPMasters

JJPMasters New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Wenht out to check animals this morning and found a dead. Upon further inspection she was moving VERY LITTLE. It was fairly could last nighnt. we have her next to te wood stove and it seems to be working a little.we fed a little milk to her and she did swallow a little. What are somethings we can do if it is hypothermia?

2. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    can you take her temp? she should be between 101.5-103.5. if she is below, DO NOT FEED HER. when a goat's temp is low, their rumen shuts down. feeding them causes food/milk to sit there and get toxic.

get her warmed up. heating pad, vigorously rub, hot hair dryer, cuddle her under your sweater in front of the fire.

but really, get a thermometer and get a temp on her.

3. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Lay her on a heating pad in front of your fire. The heating pad will provide heat from under her also. Make sure there is a towel or blanket between her and the pad. I know this isn't a popular treatment on this board, but if you have some whiskey (or any kind of liquor) put some on your finger and rub it in her mouth...quick energy. We used it for years and years on all kinds of almost frozen dead animals from kittens to calves. The only alcohol my dad would allow in the house....period...and the only reason.

4. JJPMasters

JJPMasters New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Thanhk you both. Our stove is so hot you cant stay by it for very long. and i got her on a heating pad also. Also i cannot find a thermometer. But she is wagging her tail whenh we pet her and also breathing good.

5. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Sounds like she is warming up then. I don't have a thermometer for temps either. If she's wagging her tail and responding when you pet her then she's getting better. Just keep doing what you are until she starts trying to get up on her own. I add a few drops of whiskey into warm milk when I start feeding too. Like I said tho....that's frowned upon by most everyone here, but it's saved a heck of a lot of animals on our farm.

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    put your finger inher mouth...is it cold or warm? if its warm she can have milk or electrolytes...if its cold..keep warming her up...good job is catching this so fast!!..if you dont have whisky, strong coffee perks them up as well...a bit of honey willhelp with her energy..just wipe a bit on her tongue...
    B complex would be helpful...1-2 cc sub Q

7. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    How's the baby doing?

8. JJPMasters

JJPMasters New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Sorry, havent been on here in a while. The baby, sadly, did not make it. She was just a problem child from the start anyway. Thanks for all the help anyway!

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aw, sorry to hear that. Well, you did your best, no one can ask for more than that!

10. goatfarmer4891

goatfarmer4891 New Member

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    Good job on catching it so quick! ::p:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

12. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    You don't want to warm her up too fast. That is as stressful as being too cold.

13. goatfarmer4891

goatfarmer4891 New Member

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm sorry she didn't make it, I just read that. You did great catching it early, but some things are just meant to be...praying for you!

14. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I'm sorry you lost her.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Goat Forum mobile app

15. AintGotNoCreekRanch

AintGotNoCreekRanch New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I just read this and I feel so baaaad and I had nothing to do with this SOOII SORRY I KNOW HOW THIS FEELS!! I offer my condolences... Sorry for your loss!