Need Help!! Question About Waddles!!! And some bad news....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Nov 28, 2007.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Hi everyone!! I am sorry I have out of touch for so long... I will have time tomorrow night to explain all of the hectic stuff that has been going on around here, but for right now I really need some help!!! So I will tell you about the most resent events for now. Monday (11/26/2007) my two Pygmy girls (that were purchased bred) kidded. They weren't showing any signs of delivering this soon (which of course since they were purchased bred I had no clue when exactly they would be due)! One of the Does had twins but somehow she got on top of one of them and crushed him :cry: ... a little buckling. At first we thought she was trying to reject the other one and had a really rough time with all of this Monday night.. She finally started acting motherly and we have one healthy Buckling to show for it. My other Pygmy Doe decided that she would kid at the exact same time! We had no problems with her accepting her baby and she provided us with a beautiful little Doeling(pictures of both kids coming tomorrow). I have been so upset about the loss of the Buckling. I have been keeping myself busy since then with the two kids we have alive and am just now getting the chance to post on here about it. We spent hours trying to save the little guy but he just couldn't pull thru it :cry: .... Anyways back to the two kids that we are blessed with.... I have a question about waddles. The little Doeling that was born has wattles, but one of the wattles is more up the side of her face than under her chin like the other one is (and like I am presuming they are supposed to be). Is this common or is it a sign of inbreeding or something? The Does were bred when I got them so I can't be 100% certain of the previous breeders breeding methods. What do I do about it? Can she pass it on to her offspring? I will list pictures of the two kids tomorrow and I will be sure to get good pictures of what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brandi

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    With wattles that can just happen. Some breeders will remove them if they are misplaced. Sorry to hear about the little buckling but glad to hear you have 2 others that are doing great. I have been wondering where you were. Glad to hear from you.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have seen pics of what you are talking about. but I am not sure what causes it, I will research it for you though.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    According to the pygmy goat vet book I have, wattles are not hereditary and they do not cause health problems. They are actually the remains of the embryonic gill slits. The odd one can be removed but it is not neccessary

Sorry you lost a baby....hope the other 2 are doing well. Glad to have you back, I was wondering what became of you!!

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone for all the support!!If the wattles aren't hereditary then that would be great!!! I just know that with the one being misplaced they look a little weird and I am scared that some people who didn't know better would look at it as a deformancy (considering that I too didn't know exactly what causes them). Thanks for the help and I will keep checking the post for other responses. If it isn't hereditary and has nothing to do with inbreeding then I might keep her to add to my herd. She is a little doll :D Ijust wouldn't want to breed her if it was something undesireable in the breed that could be passed on to offspring. Thanks again!!

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i love wattles. i have a buck & a doe that were born last year & both have them but there are non in there back ground. i have seen a kid born with just one wattle & it was way up behind her ear. she is being shown & is doing really good. i have seen others that are champions that have one down under there jaw & the other one is up behind the ear. you can remove them but i don't . why put them thru the stress for nothing. i would keep her if you like her there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. sorry about the little buck that you lost.

7. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you. Yes, I got to thinking about it and I am not going to have them removed. I think they are part of what makes her unique. Mainly, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a defect or something like that that could be passed on to her offspring. I can't wait for everyone to see pics of her :D

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for a goat to have waddles one of the parents have to have waddles.

Two non waddled goats can not have an offspring with waddles.

Waddles are a mystery on their usefulness but for me as a Christian I believe it was just God given some goats a special character. I love waddles!

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I do too!!! I have a doe with waddles

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Wattles are dominant so yes she can pass those on to her kids. Placement can be correct or out of place. Some remove them if they're incorrectly placed.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have no idea what waddles are ..... Here is the newbie in the bunch again :)

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    [​IMG]

waddles are located usually under the chin and on their neck. Pippin is pictured above - he has waddles

here is Flicka his mom - she has waddles
    [​IMG]

13. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Congrats on your new babies, I am sorry you lost the little buckling though.

My buck has two wattles and his twin sister only has 1, I love them and hope some of our kids due this spring have them.

14. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    I love wattles. Tango has them and they're so cute. :D

15. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    have you ever watched a duck walk????? or a very pg woman???? those are waddles. :D :D

wattles, on the other hand, are those funny little long pieces of fur covered skin that hang down from the necks of some goats---or near the ears or cheeks, evidently. sort of little finger-looking things. you have seen them, i am sure. my pygmies have them, my nigerians do not.
    i do not know the heredity of them. they have no function that we know of, as far as i know. or only the goats know!! :wink:

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So it is like a growth so to speak??

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't call it a growth but that is because I don't believe in Evolution but that they were designed that way for a purpose.

But to describe it yes I guess they look like a growth, they hang off their necks and are covered in hair like any other part of their bodies.

18. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    they are 'appendages' ....they don't get bigger and bigger as the goat ages; they just are there at birth and then stay the same relative size.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually that isn't true. The waddles do grow bigger as the animal grows. The stay the same size in relation to the animal but their size does increase as the size of the animal does.

20. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    that's what i said, 'they stay the same relative size'. this versus longer and longer for the life of the goat.