Need help replacing my dear Double Stuff

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by lorna, May 16, 2009.

1. lorna

lorna New Member

May 12, 2008
    I lost one of my two fainting goat / nubian mix brothers to a rattlesnake bite two days ago. Needless to say it was horrible and a vet could not get here for over an hour he suffered so much. His brother would not leave his body so I slept outside with them all night until we could move him in the morning (I did not let him watch).
    Dini is very upset, is looking for his brother, cries himself to sleep. Does not eat much, just sits, waiting. I am trying to spend time with him as much as possible.

What I need help with is how long should I wait to get him a new companion? And what would be best? He is a year and half old horned wether that is a little bit frisky, but still sweet. His brother was more submissive and had the fainting gene as Dini does not. Would another wether be best or a doe? Should it be a baby or young or fully grown? I really want him to bond with the new goat as i really only have room for two. Poor baby he has never been away from his brother ever. Would a different breed be ok? I was looking at Pygmy or Dwarf Nigis maybe.

Thanks for any advice as these are my first goats.
    Oh, we got the snake! :)

I miss you Double Stuff! :cry:
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I am sorry for the sad loss of your wether :(

As to a companion - the sooner the better so he isnt lonely. No matter what it will take a little while for bonding to happen but it will.

You can get a wether or doe - either is fine. Somethign young would be good or a gentle older goat.

A pygmy or nigerian dwarf with horns would do jsut fine

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss..... :( :hug:

I agree with Stacey.....getting a companion right away.... is a good will find.... he will not be depressed and will start eating again......and feeling like his old self... :hug:

good luck.....
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: i agree with the others. sorry about your goat :(
  5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, my heart is so sad for you and Dini.....I just went through the whole trying to find a companion for one of my took about a week for them to bond, they are buddies now! Even during the week of getting use to each other, my little guy that was alone until I brought the new guy home didn't cry like he did before bringing home his new buddy.
  6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I have a couple of fainters myself and my heart gose out to you. Get him someone asap. :grouphug:
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: So sorry you lost him in such a tragic way.

Dini will be fine with another, he will grieve just as you are but getting him a buddy as soon as you can will be best for him.,A horned pygmy or nigi or even a cross of the 2 will work well and I think that getting one thats at least 5 months old would be best for the size factor. Wether or doe.
  8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I think the you should get him a new friend as soon as possible! It won't replace the one that you lost but it will give him a companion.
  9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lorna, I am so sorry for your loss. :hug: I feel so bad for Deni and you, it is very hard. I agree with the others, get him a friend as soon as possible. It will be hard for him to get use to another goat because he wants his brother back, but he will be fine. Like everyone said, a wether or a doe is fine.

Give him so time to let him get use to his new friend. Make sure he is eating and drinking.
  10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    where are you located at?? This just made me soo sad....

I love goats.. but i also love snakes.. it's doubly sad for me

but i'd like to help if i could
  11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww, that is so sad. My old pygmy, when I first got him, he had a twin brother. A dog got in, chased him down and killed him. He was so sad for weeks, months even. I spent as much time as I could, but it wasn't the same. Eventually he got over him, but it was very sad.