The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
She's somethin' you can't tame. She's a Mustang.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relatively new goat owner. I purchased a female bottle baby Nigerian Dwarf (Dixie) almost 2 months ago and just brought home a 4 month old female Boer goat (Abilene) to keep her company.

I was looking the new goat over today to assess her health and how she's handling the move. I noticed that she has lice hanging on her hair shafts and crawling all around on her. There are A LOT of them. I'm not sure if they are sucking or biting lice though. I am aware sucking lice can cause anemia if it's severe enough and I'm worried she may be anemic already. I have her sepearted from my baby goat and I am making a trip to TSC tomorrow for some Python Dust to rid her of this infestation and prevent Dixie from getting them.

I am also worried she may have a heavy worm load. She seems to be somewhat bloated in the belly, kind of "weak/lethargic", and the white eyelids and gums.
She is CDT vaccinated and I have been trying to get her to take a dose of pelleted Dumor dewormer but she seems very uninterested in it I even mixed some honey with it.

She will eat grass/weeds and nibble on grain but it's not like a healthy goat would "gobble" up grain normally. I am taking a fecal to the vet as soon as possible but since it's Sunday I would really appreciate any suggestions and advice from experienced goat owners to help me out.

:whatgoat:

Thank you!

- Sara King @ Dixie Darlin' Farm

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would go ahead and deworm her with either valbazen (1 cc per 10 lbs orally) or ivomec plus (1 cc per 40 lbs injected sub q). I would also get a fecal done and make sure they check for coccidia. Start her on fortified b complex (1 cc per 20 lbs sub q) and red cell (given orally at 1 cc per 20 lbs).

That will up her energy and appetite, support rebuilding of red blood cells, and get rid of internal parasites. :)

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
I agree with ogfabby :D Pellet wormers are usually not effective since you cant make them eat then, cant be sure they ate enough there for creating a resistance to the wormer ...best to just give wormer when needed : )
if she has sucking lice the Iv.plus will take care of that too..I would do wormer 3 times 10 days apart then again in 30 days to give her a good head start...

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just a question here: could you give iron injections instead of the redcell? There was something about redcell that I heard that was negative but I don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Iron shots are just fine too...works faster...
on the red cell, from what I understand, there was talk that red cell used to be made with beef liver..it no longer is..so its safe to give Goats...

we should never feed any ruminants meat product...

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would go ahead and deworm her with either valbazen (1 cc per 10 lbs orally) or ivomec plus (1 cc per 40 lbs injected sub q). I would also get a fecal done and make sure they check for coccidia. Start her on fortified b complex (1 cc per 20 lbs sub q) and red cell (given orally at 1 cc per 20 lbs).

That will up her energy and appetite, support rebuilding of red blood cells, and get rid of internal parasites. :)
I was reading on the Valbazen that it's 1 ml per 25 lb? What is the correct dosage? She's 33 lbs and about six months old.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I was reading on the Valbazen that it's 1 ml per 25 lb? What is the correct dosage? She's 33 lbs and about six months old.
This is a very old thread. You might want to start your own so more folks will respond.

you‘ll find dosages in this link

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
was reading on the Valbazen that it's 1 ml per 25 lb? What is the correct dosage? She's 33 lbs and about six months old.

This is a very old post..but to answer your question..some find rhe dose on the bottle adequate but I feel 1 cc per 10 pounds is the best dose to make sure the parasites are addressed.

Reactions: goatblessings
1 - 11 of 11 Posts