The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm Dustin and I show boer goats at fairs and I got my new show goats a buck and two does we got them dethroned and shots and won't come over by me they are scared to death by me I feel like I did something wrong I try to give them treats but won't even come near me help neallllllllllkkkkknnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnlove ttthem love th

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never went in there and read a book but will try it I just usually sit on there water tank for about 10 min and on occasion lemon drop (one of my does) will stare at me but that's all I have been told that my cage can hold about 10 goats sorry I don't know exact measurements

·
14,615 Posts
What Kasalvagno suggested. Go out, read a book & ignore them for awhile.
Another day, bring a few treats with you but continue to ignore them. They'll come around eventually.
Just take it slow & easy, let their curiosity get the best of them.;)
My first girls were from a bajillion acres & one took almost a year to come to me on her own.
When she discovered back & butt massages she didnt think I was the boogy woman anymore. A 180lb white whale throwing her head menacingly at anyone else near me, leaning in, demanding her full body skritches.
I sure miss that ole gal.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You said you tried treats? What treats? Have you went out there with a bucket of grain?
Try thay, set a bucket of grain about 10 feet away from you, if they eat out of it, set it closer to you each time you go out.

·
2,377 Posts
My first Boer was so wild. I worked so hard to get her tame and finally gained her trust to clip a leash on her. Oh my word.. I found out that she indeed weighed more than me as she took off with me working hard to brace myself. Around and around we went with me bracing myself and her running wild eyed all around me. That same goat is now my sweetest, tamest and kindest goat. She is our herd queen and will live a good long life here as our favorite special goat. I call her name, she always answers. She was tameable but I will tell you that there are some that you will have a much harder time in doing so as it is just their nature to be more shy or wild. They are made to all have a variety of personalities in their herd for herd government purposes and so you will get a bossy, a babysitter, a herd queen, a food finder and all sorts of personalities for good herd government. We had one goat as a watchgoat and I am almost certain she would charge a coyote if it came into her pen. She also never really got along with the other goats and would always be on the watch for danger.
Goats can easily respond with treats more so than other animals so you should be able to win your goat's heart with some apple pieces. Make them small slices for easy eating and they will soon be pestering you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give them carrots and usually put in a bucket but they won't eat them unless I am gone I walk them but they won't walk so I bought a training collar I'm going to start using it in a couple of days thanks for everyone that suggested ideas for me I really appreciate it

·
Registered
6 Posts
My boar weathers love animal crackers! It's normal for them to be afraid. Once you train them to lead they won't be so afraid. But I always have trouble catching them. Unless there bottle babies, that's completely normal. Try feeding some animal crackers to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts