Need help trying to correct a behavior.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, May 31, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay ever since I sold Chase, Orion has been more ornery with me. And I think I've inadvertently encouraged this, and it has escalated a little, he now rears up at me, he hasn't ever hit me before, but I want to try and head this off before it gets there. I've got a short video on youtube of it so you can get an idea of what happens.

What are your suggestions?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He's not being aggressive, he wants to play....awful windy there I could hear that!

He obviously doesn't like the water, try a squirt gun when he rears up. Should do the trick!

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Are you sure? I want to make sure, as I'm going to be gone a week in July to Texas and I have a younger boy taking care of them while I'm gone. (course he'll be feeding through the fence anyways, I just want to be sure)

He definitely HATES water, he thinks it's evil. :roll:
  4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    He's so handsome! :love:

I agree with liz, a squirt gun should stop his naughty playfulness in its tracks. :)
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    he is only trying to play.........but definitely.... try a squirt gun...... :wink:
  6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I have the same problem with my Angora buck heath. He only ever does it to me, no one else. I think because I am most familiar to him, he sees me as another goat, everyone else is a person. Regardless, I dont let any of the kids in there with him. Too risky.

It can be play and it can be dominance. I dont allow either. They need to learn that people are dominant, and also not play things.

I use a piece of poly pipe, and hit him as hard as I can over the muzzle. Dont be afraid, you wont hurt him too much, trust me, goats can hit each other harder than you can hit a goat. And the biggest scarey part of polypipe is that it makes a loud noise.

I have tried the squirt bottle and it hasnt made a lasting impact on my goats like poly pipe has.
  7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I thought he might be playing too, that's a bit of a relief. But I just don't want him actually jumping on me like he did at one point in the video.

Keren, luckily as you probably saw in the video, Orion is TERRIFIED of water. (he has good reason as he jumped in the pool as a kid and couldn't get back out, luckily I heard him though) So I think spraying him will work. :wink: If not I'll figure something out, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

Oh and thanks for the compliments! He is a looker. :wink:
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It looks like he is playing to me also. I agree either a squirt gun or a water bottle, spray him in the face ad few times and hopefully that will nip it now before he does get aggressive.

Man he is a pretty boy. I just love his spots and those long ears. :love:
  9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Alright, I'll try it and see if it works and let you all know.

Thanks sweetgoats, now if he'd just give me a doeling with his coloring. :roll: I'm still trying to figure out how he produced two black doelings. lol
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Water bottles never worked for me, they usually figured it out after a squirt :roll: The biggest thing is you need to teach him you are "da man" and that you will not tolerate his behavior, ie rearing up on you and trying to butt you when you pet him. Next time he threatens you(and only when he threatens you) flip him on his side and hold him down. Keep him down until he has let out a big sigh(meaning he has given up) and then let him back up. I've done this with yearling bucks(that is the age to teach them or during their first rut) and all of my bucks respect me, they aren't afraid of me but they know I don't tolerate bad behavior. Also, when you pet him, don't rub him on the top of the head as he may see that as a challenge, its okay to rub in on the side of his neck though. :)

He's a handsome fella :love:
  11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He's playing. If he was really serious, you would know. If he gets really bad, try a squirtbottle full of half and half water/vinegar. Aim for the eyes. It will sting, and he'll get the hint.
  12. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    My boy Jude used to do the same thing, but only to me. Kinda similar to what Keren said as to the reason why.

If I carried a lunging whip with me or a stick he wouldn't try it. Otherwise he did. I ended up selling him to a commercial breeder because of the issue and because he wasn't where I wanted to be genetics wise.

Hopefully if you have something to correct him with he should be manageable. A whip worked for me but a squirt bottle should work too.
  13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Goats do play like this but where he is a yearling in tact male he is coming into his own and seeing what he can get away with. Dont let him push on your hand when you pet him. When he rears at you grab his beard and pull him down, if he continues put him on his side and sit on him like sarah said. Bucks rear up and butt heads to challenge eachother. He is trying to establish his dominance over you. You are not a goat but you are the herd leader and he needs to understand this. the more he gets away with the more he will push.
    Someday he will outweigh you, and this is not something you want coming at you.
  14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    That looks like playing to me, but if he ever tries to land on you, don't tolerate that. Whenever my buck (or other goats for that matter) jumps on me or whatever, I'll grab onto his front legs and hold them...... making him stand there on his hind legs until he stops. Rarely does it any more unless he sees I have cookies and just can't help himself.
  15. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Definatly playing. But don't be afraid to lay down the law if he gets too rough. :thumb: