Need Help with a pushy doe around new babies...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by 3pygmymom, Jun 6, 2010.

1. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I am having a problem with one of my does being pushy around my day old kids. She was pushy and at times wouldn't let the prego doe into the barn. I let them both out into the smaller meadow near the house and Casey was not herself. She laid next to the barn, would get up and then lay back down. I was actually going to call the vet this week because I thought she was due in April! Anyhow, Allis followed me back into the goat barn and I just let her be in there but Casey wasn't moving from where she was. I heard Casey screaming and ran around the corner and the first baby was out. I let her stay where she was and she had the other one about twenty minutes later. She is a great mom and we put her in the small barn near the house for the night just so I could check on them. I put she and the babies back out where she was the day before and then let Allis out of the goat barn. She came over and her hair stood striaight up down her back and she reared up and Casey was backing away. They clashed heads for several minutes and then Allis slammed one of the babies into the fence! I put Casey and the babies in the goat barn and left Allis out with the sheep. There is no rain for tonight so I know she will be fine. I am afraid to let her back in with the goats, especially with them so little. Any suggestions would be great!

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I would keep the mom and babies seperate for atleast a week so they can bond then I would reintroduce them slowly.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My new moms and babies are separate for a week or so to bond and give the babies a chance to gain some size and strength to get away from the herd bully, I would keep them separate for a few days then introduce them under supervision.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  5. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks! She is not happy being out with the sheep but she isn't alone and we'll have to introduce them in the field for a little bit and then slowly to the barn. Babies are doing great though!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...and glad the babies are doing good... :thumb: