The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, DO NOT LAUGH AT ME!!!:eek:.....I AM WANTING TO GET MY DOE BRED NEXT MONTH, SO THAT MAYBE WE WILL GET SOME MARCH SHOW BABIES. SHE IS CURRENTLY 18MOS OLD AND HAS NEVER EVEN BEEN CLOSE TO A BUCK EXCEPT FOR LOOKING ACROSS THE FIELD AT HIM. HE (MY BUCK) WILL BE 1YR OLD SEPT 11TH AND HAS NEVER BEEN WITH A DOE AND I CAN TELL HE IS VERY READY. MY QUESTION IS WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING HER BRED. ALSO HE SEEMS VERY HORNY:D AND HARASSES MY OTHER BUCK AND THEY ARE CONSTANTLY FIGHTING , SO WILL HE HURT HER IF SHE ISNT READY? I AM REALLY NEW TO THIS AS YOU CAN SEE.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but you need to separate the two bucks so your doe is bred by the buck you want her bred to. I figured it was worth mentioning, just in case. :) When your doe starts cycling put her in with the buck and keep an eye on them until you're sure they will be ok together. I doubt that the buck will hurt the doe, but anything is possible. I would probably leave them together for a couple of days, until the doe is out of heat and no longer receptive to the buck, and move her back to her regular pen.

If you have more does you want bred another option would be to move the buck to the does pen. Watch them as closely as you can until he has serviced all of the does and move him back to his pen. Either way, keep track of the date(s) and watch them for signs of heat in about 21 days.

PS I'm not laughing at you, it is a valid question. :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Here we hand breed. We separate the doe thats in heat (so none of the other does get in the way or distracts the buck.) We go get the buck and bring him to the doe. Typically in a small pen. He does his deed once or twice, depending upon how many girls he has had or is likely to have. He is then led back to his pen. This accomplishes 2 main things. Once, you know for sure he got her and when. AND by doing this, your buck will soon look to you for his source of action and be your best buddy. Just dont let him be to buddy buddy. Thats not acceptable. You just want him to be able to understand its a good thing when you come and get him. Makes for tamer rutty bucks and it spills over into the off season with a friendlier boy who comes when called.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, i was noticing when she would come in heat but havent noticed latley. I will have to pay more attention, she is my only doe old enough to breed. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Goatcrazy and TDG gave sound advice : ) We do the same as TDG...we have a breeding pen...the doe is brought in first then buck is brought in... we like to get three visuals before moving the doe out...if we have another doe to breed we lead her in...and so forth...We mark our dates and also a date the doe might recycle in if she happened not to take...and we watch for that...since you only have the one doe needing to be bred..you can leave them together longer...but do keep a watch on her because some Bucks, especially young newbies...dont know when to let up...if we fidn the doe is panting or over stressed from running away...she is removed..Best wishes...oh and I totally agree with Goatcrazy..not laughing here either...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts