The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our first year showing market goats. We have always shown sheep and beef in the past. Does anyone have any youtube videos or internet videos showing how to clip. I have the general idea, but need fine tuning.
Thanks.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Just a while back the same question was asked HERE

It is basically all that I can provide. There is quite a bit of valuable information in there ;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I promise I'm still going to make the video! Its just a matter of the weather cooperating and me being home to do it. I'm going to in the next week or so!

Does anyone know anything about YouTube that can pm me? I have some questions about how to upload. Also, what parts do you guys need explained? I'm thinking how to basically do the sides and top, then feet hair, heads, tail and the hard elbow pockets and between the legs and all. I don't want to be boring lol

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Do the ears too! I find those hard sometimes. Besides, they are hard to remember, and I had almost forgotten them the first time I clipped. I'm sure it wont be boring ;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The outside or inside of the ears? I only do the inside of them and that's if they need it. I haven't done them this year at all

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
The inside. Hmm, ours are usually very hairy under there. Maybe they're just weirdos..... :rolleyes: We only clip once when they are 7 months old, so maybe it needs time to grow.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really need tips on legs. Especially tips on how to bring out the best in them. I am going to put their pics on later today for critique. The does are pretty narrow, but the wether is prety nice considering he had pneumonia for over 5 weeks...

·
Registered
507 Posts
You clip from the "knee" up and the hair below is fluffed out. Many people use adhesives to make it stick out, I use hairspray! I think its pretty much the same as sheep. You also need to clip the hair around the hoof so that the hoof is showing.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'll see if I can do it this week.

The thing with wethers is knowing if yours is good enough to cut with a 9 or 10 or if he needs a standard 7. Most wethers aren't worthy of being show clipped with a 9 or 10. You really just want to get all the hair off the body and neck and head. The know when to stop and legs and hocks, then how to do around the feet. I'll really, really try to get it done this week. Soemtimes the hair below knee/hock is all different lengths and you'll have to trim the long pieces. I don't fluff legs except for state fair and its pretty hard to do the right way... It takes time and patience and a steady hand

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slick sheer just like you would on a sheep. Leave the legs there normal length. When you get to the tail leave a little Pom Pom on the end. Make sure you take all the hair off of there head, ears, and wisker. Make sure you blend the legs just like a sheep. Not much different from a sheep. Also. We clip about 3days before show day. It gives them some time to recover scratches that you might make, it will also let some hair grow out to make the body look better

·
14,802 Posts
We use a 7 blade on the wethers.
We're no pro's, and this is my kids first year with market wethers.
I'm lousy with clippers, haha. But, haven't done too horrible with the kids wethers and trying to teach them how to do it as well.
IMO it's best to start at the back and work your way forward.

Here's a pic to show how we pretty much do it

The arrows show which direction we use the clippers.
The black arrows show what we typically do first, and the red arrows show what we typically do last.
We like to get both sides done before we do the tail, then clean up the neck and head, and check to make sure the chest is clean.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Great picture, Candice! I really like that :) Helps a lot.

A big tip is, if you have wethers, do not clip the belly without looking where their wee is. You will need to trim the hair around that, but DONT run the clippers over it! My sister was glad she had a doe the first year ;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Great picture, Candice! I really like that :) Helps a lot.

A big tip is, if you have wethers, do not clip the belly without looking where their wee is. You will need to trim the hair around that, but DONT run the clippers over it! My sister was glad she had a doe the first year ;)
So true! I know someone that got the sheath caught in the blade. Notto many things with get caught in clippers but the sheath will... poor goat.

I like the picture Candice!

·
14,802 Posts
Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't too off on what everyone else does lol

Yep I agree, be careful around their sheath/boy part, and teats too.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I know what you mean about the sheath. When I was showing (sooo many years ago), someone cut a sheep's sheath opening completely off two days before they showed at the fair!! They just super glued it back on, and went on with things. The sheep seemed fine all week! Incredible.
Looking at your goat in the pic above Candice, I think around here they leave a little more hair on the legs. They are really poofy from the bottom of the shoulders down and the same level on the rear legs. Blended, but definitely poofy.
Thanks everyone.

·
14,802 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean about the sheath. When I was showing (sooo many years ago), someone cut a sheep's sheath opening completely off two days before they showed at the fair!! They just super glued it back on, and went on with things. The sheep seemed fine all week! Incredible.
Looking at your goat in the pic above Candice, I think around here they leave a little more hair on the legs. They are really poofy from the bottom of the shoulders down and the same level on the rear legs. Blended, but definitely poofy.
Thanks everyone.
Yep, lower legs don't get cut only long hairs evened up. I think I might have mentioned this when I posted above, sorry if I didn't, the only reason I trimmed everything is so it would grow out a little more even.
This picture was a couple of weeks before their first show, a few hours after clipping them.
I don't plan on cutting below the hock or knees only touching up long hairs.
I'm trying to teach my oldest 2 kids how to do it since it's their goats lol

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Ok as soon as mom is done mowing the grass then I am going to make the clipping video. Any special requests?

I'm doing inside legs, the flaps by the back legs and elbow, hock/knee, around the feet, tail, ears and head.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Ok so did the video now to edit it! It ended up being 17mins long because my goat kept acting up... so yeah we need to edit it some :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts