Need help with disbudding.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Feb 21, 2010.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok Im going to go Wednesday and learn how to disbud my babies. But Im worried their heads are to small to do at this time. I have the x30 1/2 disbudder. The babies will be about nine days old. I can just feel a pea sized horn coming in. Are they to young to do at this time, should I waite longer. Just seems like everytime I waite I end up with pretty bad scurs on the buck. Thanks for any help you might give me. :)

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't disbud...I take them to a friend to do them when needed. From what I understand, doing the bucklings as early as you can, before the horn has chance to grow is best...but I think you can wait longer on doelings...I had one done last year at just about 3 weeks old and her owner hasn't said anything about scurs.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    For bucklings, I like to do it about a week old - doelings I wait as long as 3 weeks. I wouldn't do a 9 day old doeling w/ the 1/2 inch burner, but that's just me (a newbie disbudder). Their heads are so tiny!

4. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    So maybe I should waite another week for both of them. I hope I didnt buy the wrong disbudder. I feel like im going crazy trying to figure this all out. Thanks for the help.

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    The lady I bought one of my goats from does her nigerian goats with a x50 and she does her doelings by the time they are a week old. So far she hasn't had any problems. I do my bucklings at 1 week doelings 2 weeks old. I have a x30. I did a buckling who was 15 days old and his buds were just visible and he didn't have any scurs.

I

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've only ever used a x30. :)

7. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    All the reviews that I have read said that the Rhinehart x30 is the best and more people end up with less scurs then when they used the Rhinehart x50. It also is suppose to last longer.

8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    So Runaround you have the x30 with the 1/2 tip. At what age do you do the babies? They do look so small and I will have a mentor but I will be doing them myself. Ive watched it done many times now its my turn. I just dont want to do anything wrong.

9. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    O and thanks everyone for all the good information.

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We have the X50 with the 1/2 tip- would never use the smaller tip- its way too small
    I like to disbud as soon as I can feel that bump under the skin- some does take up to 2 weeks plus for it to come up- but many bucklings are born with them!
    I disbud the boys as early as possible...I had to disbud a 2 day old boy the other day- he had quite the bumps and its so much easier to do when you first catch that bump. But I would never disbud under 2 days old- he was a very strong and bouncy boy and it didnt slow him down a bit

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks ProctorHillFarm, so cool least it sounds like I should be ok. I will go ahead and just take boy then unless her horns really come in by Wednesday but I can feel little tiny bumps coming in on him, so I say he is good to go then. He will be a week old Monday so plenty old enough to do. Thanks