need help with eye!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Oct 25, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My Elwood has scratched his eye until he has it bloody.......the skin around the eye has been irratated for about a week.....no goop or matter in it, just a bit watery at times...not cloudy..I thought maybe allergies :shrug:. He had loss the hair around both eyes, so I copper bolused him 2 weeks ago and then this started with his eye. I have been putting eye ointment in it for about a week and thought it was getting better. I was just out there and he was scratching it so bad and now has it bloody......what should I do?
    thanks, Denise

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    maybe a cone collar?? just to keep him from scratching it

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The eye lid is bloody or the actual eye?

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It seems to be the eyelid around the eye.......and his bottom inter-lid seems to be turning out, does that make sense? I think the whole eye is swollen now.......I went out a minute ago and held a warm compress with a tea bag on it and then coated the whole eye really good with eye oinment.....I just can't figure out wat is going on with his eyes.....he has been loosing the hair around his eyes for about a month, so 2 weeks ago I decide to copper bolus and things went fine and then I noticed a week ago the skin around the eyes looked irritated so I started putting eye oinment on them, I thought they were getting better until this evening when I went out and found him scratching the heck out of the one eye! I thought about trying to put a patch over it, but I think he will just rip it off.

Could it be an allergy? I thought about giving him some benydrel.

any ideas are sooooo appreciated! Denise

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What kind of ointment are you putting in his eye? Could it be the ointment is making it worse?

Sounds like he may have an infection in his eye now, or a really bad scratch from scratching it himself. I would take him to the vet so they can put dye in the eye and look for scratches. Eye issues can turn nasty fast. :(

Sounds more like a Zinc deficiency to me. You can get chewable flavored Zinc pills and give him one of those a day until you see improvement. Mine love them.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It is an eye oinment(bactratrin sp?)......I guess I'll call the vet in the morning. I just went out to check on them all and they are all bedded down and he was ok.....so hopefully he will leave it alone for the night!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Denise, as Ashley said, getting him to see the vet would be best....He very well could have scratched the cornea, which can turn into a very bad situation if not caught early on. :hug:

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep, I will call vet first thing in the morning......I cleaned it and put quite a bit of eye oinment on it tonight.
    Thanks guys, Denise

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have a friend who has a doe who has had the same problem (only in both eyes) for a couple of years. She would try eye ointment and different hays thinking it was an allergy. She finally had a vet out to get a skin scraping. It turns out it was mites.
    beth

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Beth, I just had someone suggest that to me also.......they said give him some ivermectin and to keep up the eye oinment.....can I give him ivermectin orally for mites? Hubby is out of town for the week and I have never given injections without hubby here to hold them.
    Thanks, Denise

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is better to inject for mites.....I agree on having a vet take a look see...if you are having him checked out ...maybe have the vet take a scrape sample of it....he will be able to let you know...if it is mites for sure...with swelling ....it doesn't sound like it is improving......with eye problems.... if it isn't healing ..within 1 week ....there is usually a scratch or foreign object in the eye......Good luck....sounds painful..... :hug:

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would definatly have a vet out and have him take a look at it. If its mites he may be able to suggest something. If its just something in the eye it will need to be flushed and him put on terrimycin or soething. But the fact that he has scratched it until he is bloody is not good.
    beth

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Found this article last night......sounds so much like my Elwood.... http://www.alpacas.com/AlpacaLibrary/Al ... blems.aspx

I got a better look at his eye this morning and it looks like he scratched the outside of the eyelid, eyeball itself looks ok......I called vet and of course my vet was out on farm calls, but vet on duty had me come p/u some eye drop medicine.....so I have put those in his eyes and he seems ok, other than the hairloss and scratching. I will check him here in a bit and if need be I 'll call my vet back, he should be in office after 2:30pm.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Elwoods eyes are sooooo much better this morning with using the drops from the vet :clap: ! I went ahead and gave all boys ivermectin for mites.....I will clean out pen very throughly this afternoon.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: great news..... :hug:

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great to hear that! Hope the drops continue to work!