The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bucks (boer and boer mix) and one doe (50% boer)

I will be getting 3 or 4 more does really soon (3 of them will be young). I was feeding a my 1 doe before I added the bucks just a all stock feed mixed with beet pulp and a little alfalfa. I was told the bucks really need some Noble goat for the medication thats in it to help prevent UC. These bucks are 8 mos old and I feed a 2lb coffee can of Noble/beet pulp mix every morning and every evening. (is this to much or to less?) I have since switched my doe to the Noble/beet pulp mix. Noble Goat is anywhere from $13-$14.50 per 50lb sack. I have went through about 50lbs in a week. I only feed my doe once a day and she is fine, but my bucks are always fussing and waiting for there feeding times. Is there a better cheaper feed that I can find? When I add my other does there is no telling how much I will be going through.

I also have free choice hay and free choice Wind and Rain Cattle mineral.

I guess what after all this babbling, I want to know how much to feed these bucks that will make them satisfied and If there is a cheaper feed that will still be good for them. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
With all bucks and wethers they need a feed containing Amonium Chloride or Amonium Chloride additive that you would add to their feed. If you a free feeding hay to your bucks plus their minerals plus this grain you are giving them plenty. Mine only get hay and minerals except when they go in the milking stand for maintenance work, then they'll get grain. Goats have a way of suckering us into thinking they are starving but they really aren't. If your grain doesn't have AC in it then I would stop giving it. Even if it does, I would use it sparingly just in case. I'm not sure what medication there would be in a goat grain so not sure if this person is referring to AC or not.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
I'll tell you...I have never had an issue with my bucks. UC is mostly a problem for wethers...not to say bucks never get it...just I haven't seen it. I guess I "neglect" my bucks, lol. I feed them a good mix of grass hay/alfalfa. I add acv to their water, which is fresh every day. They get a good mineral mix. And, I watch their "urine flow" regularly, lol. I don't feed grain, until about a month before breeding season, then I give them a bit, jic. I watch their weight, and they are utd on deworming and vaccinations.

I use the "generic" grain that is 12% protein. If you use the all-stock (that means you can feed to sheep, no copper), you have to add copper...either by bolus or added to their water...for animals that are "growing" but not "producing", the pregnant does get a higher protein, but not till they "freshen".

The feed store wants to sell the expensive food first...lol...if you are going to show these goats then you need input from the "show folks"...maybe I should have said that first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts