Need help with kids to-do list and when to do each

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JoKC99, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JoKC99

JoKC99 New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Oregon
    So, I have 2 bucklings, different ages, but when would be the best age(s) to wean, tattoo their ears (if ABGA requires it), give them the initial CD/T shot, deworm and copper bolus? Would it be different for doelings? I only recently found out goats need for copper and their mother were showing signs of deficiency. So I gave their mothers some copper, but would that change when I should give the bucklings in case of possible deficiency?

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well it depends on the copper. Lots of people do it differently. It just depends how bad your goats battle deficiency.
    But I will answer when I do it all ;)
    Wean- 3 months old, doesn’t matter if they are bucks or does. If I am keeping the doe kids though I might keep them on the doe till 4 months old. Really it depends on when the sibling left and how much milk dam is making.
    CDT- on both I give the first shot at 8 weeks old. Then the booster 3 weeks later. So basically it is “fresh” in their system a week later for the stress of weaning.
    Tattooing- if I know they are being sold as registered and I have a deposit on them or I know I’m going to keep them, I’ll do it at 8 weeks old while I already have my hands on them. If I’m still not sure if they will sell as registered (some kids I will sell as commercial to move them along) then they wait until they are either weaned or sold. Basically I don’t want my tattoo on them without papers going with them ;) I used to not tattoo any of my keepers and figured I would cross that bridge if/ when I sell them later. Don’t do that! It’s much easier to do them when they are little
    When I wean them I usually go ahead and throw the “worm when needed” out the door. So I will worm them and give cocci prevention as well as their copper bolus when they are being weaned UNLESS one of the kids just so happened to have been recently wormed. Again this is how I do it, of course it is always a better idea to get a fecal before worming at anytime ;)

3. JoKC99

JoKC99 New Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Oregon
    Thank you so much for the reply, Jessica84 ! I tried asking this same thing on a FB group named "Raising Boer Goats" and one other goat one, thinking I would get maybe a few relies that would hopefully add up to at least half as good and complete as the one you gave, but no luck :/ Thanks again!