The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yip I did it. Didn't pay full attention to what I was doing.. Got to learn to read more carefully. I bought a goat recently and she is registered American Goat Society and not American Dairy Goat Association. Which is what I belong to. Without reading all like I should I sent the papers in and they sent me back a notice saying I need to fill out their paper work. Well needless to say. I am not sure how to do it and I feel so stupid. I called previous owner and she said she would call this morning and set up a meet but hasn't done so. I need someone to guide me thro it just learning. Any ideas.. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
I take it you have the actual registration of the goat?

It is my understanding that the AGS registration will need to be in your name. So you need to transfer it through AGS. Then once that is done, you fill out an ADGA application like you are registering a goat but put all the info from the AGS registration. Then mail in the application and the actual AGS registration and fee for registration.

They will mail you back the AGS registration. I did that with all my AGS registered goats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Frosty,
I would personally call the ADGA. They are use to new owners. They have been helpfully in answering my questions. Each registry recognizes each others papers but you have to be a member of both agencies. It's a matter of filling different applications for each registry. (828) 286-3801 this is a good time of year to call as they are fairly easy to get ahold of. Most of the shows are over & the majority of the kids haven't been born yet. Have you been to there website, you can download all the form & instructions. I have an online account, which when established makes it much easier to manage my paperwork. Hope this helpful. It's fairly easy process. All my goats are dual registered with both AGS & ADGA.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
It is a fairly simple process...time consuming, but simple.

You first need to transfer the AGS certificate into your name. The seller should have signed an AGS "Bill of Sale" form for you. So send that and the certificate into AGS and don't forget the transfer fee.
Next (and you can send this in with the certificate and transfer at the same time), you will need to get a transfer report for the goat from AGS. http://www.americangoatsociety.com/pdf/TransferRecordRequestForm.pdf
Once you have your transfer report and the AGS certificate is in your name, you will then need to fill out an ADGA registration application: http://adga.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=89 Use the info. from your AGS certificate to fill it out. Make sure to sign everything necessary.

Once you have that done, send ADGA the *original* AGS certificate, the AGS transfer report, and the ADGA registration application. Make sure to make a note that you want your AGS certificate back. They should register the goat for you without issues. The only time i've run into a snag which was actually a few weeks ago is they sent back my application because the breeder's tattoo info. wasn't on file. They had me tattoo a Q in the tail and send everything back in once that was done. They then went ahead and registered the goat.

Hope this helps! I've been doing quite a few these "re registrations" over the summer.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See if I am reading this right. I have to join AGS and then register her there then when that is done I can register her with adga. I wasn't gonna join ags but I guess I am now. Maybe next time I will pay more attention. Doesn't matter cause I fell in love with her at first site so I don't think it would of mattered if she was even registered. lol Thank everyone

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Call AGS. I don't think you have to join but could be wrong. It just may cost more to register her without a membership.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again. Just as soon as I get thro dealing with the electrician who is putting lights in my barn I will work on getting the paper work straigtened out. Afraid if I get right in the middle of it I will have to stop and help him with something and that won't work.. lol

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You do not have to be a member of either registry to use their services, however, the costs for members vs. non members is a bit lower.

If the doe is not even registered yet. If you can get a copy of her sire and dam's AGS certificates and have the breeder fill out and sign an ADGA registration application. Send the ADGA application in with her sire and dam's AGS copies and they will register the goat with ADGA. That process is a lot quicker and simpler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts