Need help with Pygmy goat!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Blossom Beever, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Blossom Beever

Blossom Beever New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Hey! I am a new 'goat keeper' with 3 Pygmy goats aged 6 months old. I am having problems with my girl goat, her sysmptoms are:
    - very scabby skin all over apart from belly
    - she keeps dropping her back end as if unable to stand properly
    - snotty nose and eyes (eyes keep scabbing completely shut)
    - weight loss
    - rapid/unusual breathing
    - temperature of 41.5c
    - tail dropped downwards

She seems to be eating & drinking fine and the 2 boy goats have nothing wrong with them.
    I've had the vet out twice, and after injections and a look under the microscope at her scabs, has ruled out parasite infestation saying it showed nothing. Advised bathing her every 3 days with special shampoo, and "once the scabs go she will get better."
    Doesn't explain the back end/weight loss/breathing etc?!?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated I just want my baby to get better!!

I am based in Yorkshire in the UK.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do they play hard? Do the boys mount her frequently? Do you have some type of mineral out for them?

3. Blossom Beever

Oct 21, 2017
    Not particularly, and the boys are both castrated so don't really show interest. I have a crystalyx small holder block out for them.

4. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    When I converted the temp, it said 106.7. That is a pretty high fever. She needs meds to bring that down and probably an antibiotic. It sounds like she might have a mineral deficiency as well. What medicines do you have access to?

catharina likes this.
  5. Blossom Beever

Oct 21, 2017
    She's been given antibiotics and pain relief and can't have any more for 10 days now according to vet. And not that much, a lot are restricted/have to bought and shipped in from the US.

6. ksalvagno

Skin problems that are proven to not be from parasites are usually a deficiency from copper, selenium and/or zinc.

catharina and groovyoldlady like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree.

Sorry for all the questions but I need to know more about her. It could be so many things.

How long ago was she on antibiotics when was the last day?
    What kind was given, how much and was it daily or?

If her temp is indeed 106.7, she needs a different antibiotic because the one given, didn't work for her.She will need banamine too.

Any discharge from her vulva, smelly or odd color?
    Uterine infection?
    Is she peeing OK, is it colored strange? Straining to pee? Urinary infection?

Do you have white tail deer in your area?
    Meningeal worm with paralysis comes to mind too, with weak rear end along with selenium and other deficiencies are possible.

Cocci though too, can make them have a belly ache, weight loss without scouring.
    Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci?
    How is her inner lower eyelid coloring?

If she is clear from mites, that rules that out for scab issues.

mariarose likes this.
  8. jschies

Aug 14, 2014
    How is she today?

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

A temp range I'm comfortable with is Fahrenheit 101.5 to 103. I'll find a Celsius translation toute suite.

Is your vet familiar with the extremely vital sheep and wool industry? If so, ask him if he would be so casual with a fever of over 4 degrees F in a ewe?

I'll bet that would wake him up. Bad scabs are symptoms, not causes. James Herriot is rolling in his grave...

I'm so very sorry, for you and your girl. We'll help all we can from so far away. Off to find that calculator now.

10. jschies

Aug 14, 2014
    How is her temp today and her eyes? I would think about pneumonia or a respiratory infection. Do you at least have vitamin c and vitamin b that you can give her?

catharina likes this.
  11. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    What kinds of grain & hay are you feeding the goats? How much?
    Do they have the loose (gritty, sandy) minerals?

12. Blossom Beever

Oct 21, 2017
    Hi guys. Sorry for the lack of replies.

Just letting you know she took a turn for the worse last night, woke up to find her unable to even stand and bleating her head off in pain. Vet came out to see her and I was told there was nothing they could do to help her long term, only keep her alive for the next few days, so I had to have her put down this morning.

I am completely heartbroken and so very mad at the vet practice for how flippant they were towards her, as I know if they'd have taken her bloods when I first got them out they might have been able to save her, and i will never know what actually killed her.

Thank you all for your advice and help.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Nothing anyone says will make you feel better, but we all have suffered a loss and are totally understanding about your pain, anger and frustration.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. ksalvagno

So sorry you lost her.

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  17. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Sorry for yr loss, don't let it discourage your love for goats!