The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am making soap for the first time.. I added the lye into the milk, and it has turned orange and is super hot. Therm (glass) says over 110. It has been like that for a while so I don't know if it's fried or what. Oils are also hot, around the same. Should I just mix it and hope for the best?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
It's fine :) it will change color.. And the milk/lye and oils should be around 110-115 :) at least for my recipe they do ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the thermometers are definitly fried, one has been sitting in cold water for a while and hasn't dropped... Should I start mixing the lye/milk with the oils? I would prefer not to waste this stuff. Thanks Skyla :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Hmm... I know the lye is hot! So I don't know about just mixing them if the temp is unknown...
I know what you mean about not wasting it though... :/

No problem.. Sorry I can't help with the temps...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They feel about the same temp... No I didn't stick my fingers in them, I just help my hand over. I am tempted to mix them and see what happens.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I just don't know what would happen if they weren't the right temps... I know lye is VERY dangerous! So just be careful!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I decided to just go ahead and mix them just for the heck of it. I've been mixing it for a while and it's pretty watery and there are little partials in there... I will keep mixing..

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I guess I'm not much help, lol! I don't do CP, waaaay to much work, IMO! ;) Sydney, check out The other Sarah's thread "soap thoughts?" sometime, I posted a lot about how I do it there.
IMO, it's much much easier than CP, but it still comes out smooth and pretty like CP. there's no need for all the different temps, and waiting and trying to get it right. :)
The way I do it, you add your lye to your water, not your milk, it gets hot, you pour it over you oils, then add your milk after stirring for a bit, (nice and cold milk, slushy, icy is best) it doesn't turn orange that way.
I did it the way you are the first time, too, sadly mine didn't turn out too well, but then I only had like two oils, or maybe just olive, can't remember...
Anywho, you should check it out! :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Oh, and if you don't have a stick blender, get one!!! :lol: Unless you like stirring for hours and hours and hours......;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I just don't know what would happen if they weren't the right temps... I know lye is VERY dangerous! So just be careful!
I don't think it would do anything dreadful, it just might not gel, or have as nice of an end product, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to blow up or anything! ;)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Oh, and if you don't have a stick blender, get one!!! :lol: Unless you like stirring for hours and hours and hours......;)
Oh agreed! Lol!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I don't think it would do anything dreadful, it just might not gel, or have as nice of an end product, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to blow up or anything! ;)
Well I'm still learning.. I would be scared to if it were too hot :laugh:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am hand mixing it... How long do I mix it? Still pretty watery.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with CP; I tried it for a while when I started, but it's just so much more complicated than the other way! I just gave up, lol! I can't link on here :GAAH: or I'd give you a link to the article that got me started doing "room temperature" process. It's really cool. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well I am hand mixing it... How long do I mix it? Still pretty watery.
Usually till it "traces", or becomes thick like a pudding, but I don't think you have to go quite that long.... If you're not using a stick blender, I'm sorry to tell you, but it can take up to three hours! :/

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Usually till it "traces", or becomes thick like a pudding, but I don't think you have to go quite that long.... If you're not using a stick blender, I'm sorry to tell you, but it can take up to three hours! :/
No no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!! I am NOT mixing it that long!!!! :eek: I've probably been mixing it for 30-40 mins.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should I maybe just let it sit out for a while and cool down, then mix it?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Haha! Your gonna be mixing for quite a while! Lol! Watch a movie or something while you mix :) lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still mixing and still no progress......!!!! Should I keep mixing?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Still mixing and still no progress......!!!! Should I keep mixing?
If you want soap, yes. :/ it's no fun without a stick blender, I know! Sorry bout that! I did that a lot of times before I found out that a stick blender will do it in ten minutes or less..... :/ so I feel your pain! I used to get my brother to take turns with me.... Maybe you could get someone else to take over for a bit? :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts