NEED HELP with Tattoo before show -

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Bellafire Farm, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hello all,

Of course ADGA's number has been busy for the last two hours straight! I've been hitting redial forever...now they are closed until tomorrow. Ugh.

My question is this -
    We purchased a doe & had her bred on the farm before we picked her up. She kidded here at home with us five months later.
    We understand that the doelings name must be the previous farms name, since she was bought but not yet paid in full during breeding. That's fine. But now I am trying to complete her registration & tattoo her for show...
    WHO'S tattoo does she get??? Mine or the previous farms? I wouldn't know her birth order and such if I have to tattoo the previous farm, so I can't imagine that's correct... but her name is not my farm name... so I'm confused!?!?!? Please help!!!
    :wallbang:

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I had this very same problem and Sarah of CRF explained it to me this way...

The NAME of the kids will be the previous owner's farm's... but the TATTOO will be yours. So they will have your herd tattoo and your "kid #." Apparently this sometimes really confuses ADGA but she said it's the right way to do it. They should be tattooed with whatever farm they were born on.

I of course totally screwed this up, my Brandywine doe kidded here and the kids should have been A1 and A2 (but I thought they were going to be the other farm's A?? and A??) but since I didn't realize that until later and I registered other kids in the meantime they're now going to be A7 and A8. Luckily the number doesn't really have to reflect the birth order, it just has to be different. Phew.

When I got into goats I had NO IDEA how much time I would spend trying to understand registration papers and process. It is not quite as bad as filing taxes, but close.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    She gets your tattoo and kid #. She gets their herd name (if bred at their farm). Make sure you have the service paper of her breeding.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The doe gets their herd name, your herd tattoo and your kid number, whatever that may be. Since she was born on your property she will be tattooed with YOUR herd. But since she was bred by the previous owner she gets their Herd Name.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you purchased this doe from the farm she was bred at, was she born on THAT farm? If she was born there then she should have that farm tattoo and kid # and you should have gotten a bill of sale as well as a transfer slip if she was registered, if not registered then you should have gotten an application for registration as well as bill of sale and transfer,
    You know to tattoo her kids with their tattoo and your kid #, you will need to get in contact with the does breeder to get the correct tattoo sequence though.

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yeah, Liz I'm seeing it differently now.

So to the op...are you trying to register the doe herself who was born on their farm or yours? If she was born on their farm then their herd name and their tattoo...if she was born on your farm (bred by them) then their herd name and your tattoo. If she was born on THEIR farm and you later purchased her then she should have come with a reg. application or paperwork which should have already filled in with her tattoo information since she was born on someone else's farm. They should have her tattoo info.

I'm kind of confused.

7. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Ha, ha..hadn't thought about it from two angles until now...

Momma doe (Mirage) is transferred to us. It was her baby doeling that I'm hoping to get registered & tattoo'd in time to make the Chehalis, WA show... thanks to Shannon's encouragement!! LOL!!

After I posted this...(partial fit of frustration after not being able to get thru to ADGA to correct my tattoo listed with them) I drove out to the barn & realized...wait a minute...the whole point of identification/tattoo is to know where the animal originated FROM...(hence MY farm).

Ugh...sometimes frustration clouds judgement right??? :scratch:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You got it Traci..... Mirage's babies are tattooed with THEIR tattoo and your kid #

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    There ya go! You got it. ;)

10. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Ok, Now I'm confused...

I understood it to be:

MY HERD tattoo in the Right ear,
    My kid # in the left ear

THEIR farm name on her papers only.

Yes???

11. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Your correct. Kid was born on your farm so therefore your herd tattoo and your kid number. On the papers the kid will carry their farm name and your tattoos.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    ^^I also agree.

A good friend of mine was having issues with this. She bought a doe bred...the doe kidded at her place. She thought their herd name and tattoo and she sent the papers in like 3 or 4 times and ADGA kept sending them back. She ended up having to call ADGA, because they never did tell her what to do when they sent the papers back.

THEIR herd name - YOUR herd tattoo and kid #.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Agreed too.... had to look at my handbooks :oops:

15. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Perfect...
    sorry for any confusion...
    Done deal..girls are getting our Farm tattoo printed in gorgeous green! LOL!

Thank you all so much for your input.
    All my very best,

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    SO when do you get to use your farm name on the new kids that come? I am new to this all too.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you own the doe at the time of breeding - her papers need to have your name on it as the owner and then any kids coming from any breedings will have your herd name

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Really? I was thinking that with the ADGA, the kids had to carry the dams herd name until the third generation (the baby's baby). From what I have noticed, the breeders of one of me goats carried the herd name of the previous dam. But it is tattooed with theirs. My question is, since it has one herd name, and a tattoo of another, do I use my own herd name now on the kids from that doe? This stuff is so confusing.

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Was the doe in YOUR name when she was bred? If yes, the kids will have your herd name.

It's quite possible that they bought the "previous dam" bred just like Bellafire.