Need help with what tatto gun to buy and dehorner.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Feb 22, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi all just wondering which tattoo gun is best to buy. I checked with jeffers and the small tattoo gun they sell with the ear release is no longer being sold with the ear release. What do you all have and what do you recomment. I also need to buy a disbudder, what ones do you all have and where did you buy them from. Jeffers has the x30 with the pygmy tip, will that work on nigerians to? Thanks for any replies I get.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I have a Stone tattoo outfit with the ear release. I bought mine at a thrift store. I think Caprine Supply has them. I disbud with a RhinehartX40 with a goat tip. The X30 works well, too. We use them on both minis and full sized goats.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

personally i like the 5/16 size set. You can fit five digets which for me is great with whethers and the scrapie system, As my herd tattoo is three letters and all unregistered animals have to have WA in front of my herd tattoo. Its a good and easy size to read, good size for mini breeds and tail webs as well.
    I have had ones with and without ear release. I like the ones without way batter. the ear release just gets in the way and really doesnt help to release the ear when you stop pressure, I also got two sets of pliers when i got my tattoo set up this way i can have one with my herd tattoo that i dont have to change every time. The other i have to change the number on every new goat. But if i just had one i would have to change it every ear or tail web i did. Its way faster to only have to do it once in between goats.
    beth

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I also use the 5/16th tattoo pliers with release. Check with valleyvet.com I do believe that they carry them and you get free shipping over $60.00

The disbudding iron, I have a X30 and love it!!! I bought a kid disbudding box, but ultimately I hate it because the minis are way to small for it and it is easier for DH to hold them for me. It does work nicely for the larger kids though.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have the Stone outfit and I like it so far. Just bought another set of pliers for the same reason Beth said! I made a mistake because of all the switching out. Much easier just only have to switch the one letter for the kid birth order.

Now I do have kids with two herd tatoos this year but at least it will be simplier.

6. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    So the x30 would be a good buy then. Ok will check these out, I need to get the disbudder soon my little guys need their horns done. Thanks for your help.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I found the box to be too big for minis as well. So i put an old towel underneat them and behind them. It lifts them up to the right height as well as keeps them from backing up too far. Works great for me.
    beth

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do the same as well. works fine and I can then do bigger minis as well.