Need Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, my daughter has a class mate that raises Dairy goat, and they are all CAE, and CL POSITIVE. She has asked us to help her on several different occasions. We have always told her no. Brenna have always had a excuse why we can not. Well she called her last nigh and said they have one baby that is free of it all. She hit the ground and the girl took her before mom could even lick her. Well she told my daughter that the baby is a week old now and not doing very well. She can not stand on her front hoofs. She is walking on her pasterns, and she is getting very week. (we are not a selenium deficient area) She asked for help. The trouble is I will not go there because of the CAE, and CL that is going on there. Now I guess a vet that lives around the corner from us told her to call us because he knew nothing about goats, and he has everyone call us. Well, I like to go see the goats so I get a better idea of what is wrong, but in this case I do not want to go there.
    I am thinking Floppy kid by the description. I did not talk to them myself, so I have no idea about temp, what she is fed or anything.
    What would you all do in this situation? This is a family I talked about that sells her goats to people and does not tell them about the CAE, or CL.
    I by NO MEANS want anyone to think I am a heartless person, but I have to protect my herd first. I told my daughter to have them call me if they still needed help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hard decision. Can they bring the goat to you?

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would meet them somwhere to get the goat, that way nobody is at risk of spreading the diseases. Would that be possible?

I completely understand that you are wanting to help them but you dont want to risk the health of your herd. I feel for you.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would not go to their place either. Or let them bring the goat to you i would maybe meet them somewhere, explain to her the risks of especially cl, and how you can bring it home to your herd on your clothing. If you decide to see the kid then make sure you go straight to the house and put your clothes in the washer, wash them twice and then throw them in the dryer, i would put them through the dryer two or three times. before you go set up a pan of bleach water where you park your car and step out into the bleach with your shoes.
    As for the kid itself, the retracted tendons sound like selinium deficiancy, i know your not in an area where that happens, but it may be that her goats are not getting a free choice loose mineral and it still could be part of the problem.
    Some of the signs of floppy kid syndrom are not eating milk, trying to eat dirt, look for dirt on the kids face. taking a few steps and then losing most or all cordination. as it advances the kids gut will shut down and their gut apears full even hours after a bottle. they will lay flat on their side, they may or may not throw their heads back over their spine. some run high fevers others don't, some kids have trouble breathing others don't.
    hope this helps a little.
    Keep us posted.
    beth

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thanks. I never thought about going to some OTHER place to meet. :hammer: I have not heard if they have called back. I do know that the baby has lost total control of her baby, She does take a few steps and then losing most or all coordination.
    Maybe I will have my daughter call them and see how she is doing.
    I just hate to see a innocent baby suffer. But I will not take the risk of it coming to my place.
    Beth, Yes I would no matter what step in bleach water to clean my boots. We were going to wear out muck boots, and even put bags on the bottom.
    I did not know about eating the dirt, that is a new one. Thanks for the tip.