need help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by deerhaven, May 16, 2010.

1. deerhaven

deerhaven New Member

May 16, 2010
    Hi , I am new to this forum but am already asking for help...sorry.
    I made a mistake and bought an alpine billy online from just a photo. He came from a dairy farm and is registered.
    The problem is...he is shakey in his hind end and has difficulty walking. His hind legs look as though the muscle is wasted and causing him pain. From the front ,he looks reasonable. To add insult to injury...his hooves needed 2" cut off from severe neglect. His eyes and the tissue surrounding is very pink and his coat is long and not in good shape.
    The question is ...could he have white muscle disease? This animal will be 2 years old this month and the original owner said they had him until he was 18 months for which time he was very well. His twin brother has no issues.
    I don't know alot about goats but I have read that adults can get it. My concern is that , if that is what he suffers from....if the damage is too severe , is there hope for him. I did give him a shot of selenium and vitamin e but it has only been 24 hrs.
    I would appreciate any input at this time.
    Thank you so much..goaty Gail

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

There's a lot of things that could cause this so until you track it down I would recommend focusing on getting him as healthy as possible. Clip and bathe him - I bet his will appreciate it. Great move getting his feet trimmed, he could have been in so much pain from the over grown toes that he walked oddly to compensate and now has a problem because of that. Vitamins, Minerals, Protein, Fat. Try to get him on a reasonable grain - just for a few months, a cup or so a day. It's great to give shots and boluses and pastes but they will get the most from something they digest. Consider alfalfa pellets too, and BOSS if you have access to it. A good mixture for an animal who really needs the nutrition would be to mix the grain 5:1 grain to BOSS then give 1 cup of the grain mixture with 1 cup of the alfalfa pellets for a small breed (Nigi, Pygmy) and twice that for a large breed. Remember to work him on it slowly though. Since he's an alpine 2 cups of each. Of course provide access to a good grass oat mix hay - whatever you have available to you.

Go through the stages - treat for cocci and worm. Worm 3 days in a row to make sure you clear him out. Provide a copper supplement such a sulfate drench or a bolus. Also continue the selenium and Vit E per the directions on your package. Be careful with these two as not enough may not help much and too much can cause death. Consider getting some Nutri Drench and drenching him 1x a day for a week, then 1 a week for a month or two. The calcium will help if he has bone or joint deficiencies. Vaccinate as well.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry to hear your new boy isn't doing well/ being shaky in the rear could be any number of things from Meningeal Worm to a severe deficiency.
    Meningeal Worm causes neurological problems which can be corrected if treated soon enough, Polio and Listeria too will cause issues with the brain too.
    If you can have a vet check him out it would be ideal but treating him for possible polio or listeria is fairly cheap and won't break the bank, giving him high dose injections of Fortified B-Complex will counteract Polio, high doses of Penicillan will treat Listeria and giving him injectible Ivermectin will help with Meningeal Worm.
    With any changes in feed, do so gradually and get a temp on him, normal is 101-103.5F

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Is he any better today? :hug: I hope you find out whats going on soon.

Gina

5. deerhaven

deerhaven New Member

May 16, 2010
    Thank you everyone for your responses.
    Well, to start he is moving around a little better and seeming more interested in life in general. He loves our hay even though fresh grass is available. He has never been outside so hay it is. Starting to eat better overall. We gave him a day of just rest today and plan to bathe and deworm tonight. He has an abcess above his testicle which is oozing golden drainage. I will treat that after bath time.
    Back to mucsle wasting....is this white muscle disease.....and will there be hope for him with treatment and proper diet?
    Anyway...we are giving him the benefit of the doubt and comfort care until we can get a good goat vet to look at him. In the mean time...thanks again!

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    deerhaven dont blame this on yourself. Im very curious as to what it could be myself, as my 14mo old Boer buck is wobbly in the rear as well. Has always been UDT with vacs including BoSe, plenty loose minerals & recently wormed with ivermectin+.
    He DID have some chiro work done which helped but he's still not himself.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry to read what you are going through. What a real shame people let animals get into this condition and sell them off onto other people to take care of 'their problems.' I know exactly what you are going through! I bought a Boer Doe from a local auction a couple of weeks ago who seemed just fine, but she has a really bad front foot and some kind of parasite that we are suspecting to be mites or lice. I posted about her in the Caprine Care section of the board.

I don't regret buying her, even if I made a mistake <never go to a public auction....>, but I don't know if we can save her with that foot giving her problems.

I hope your boy gets to feeling better!