need help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countrylover, Oct 14, 2010.

1. countrylover

countrylover New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    my lamache doe is just over 2 yrs old and she has horns we bought a alpine toggenburg cross yesterday a little doe she is 7 0r 8 mos old no horns.we put her in the goat pen with my other doe she chased her and trided to head butt her so we took her out afraid my big doe would hurt her.how long will :? this go on will we ever be able to put them together.this our first time ever having a goat with horns.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you can -the best thing to do is put them seperate but sharing a fence line to get to smell each other and get used to each other. No matter what though - when you put animals together they are going to fight it out, unfortunately and it can get pretty brutal. :-( Mine do it even after I put them back together after being split for a short time for breeding - they have to get that dominance pyramid back.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Allison.....no matter what.... they must get the pecking order established..... and even separated for a short time..... they must reclaim their positions.... which is the dreaded... head butting... :(

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a bald doe in with 5 horned ones and yes, they will be rough until the pecking order is established....what I do to make things a bit safer on new ones is to wrap horns with bright colored duct tape..available at Walmart in the paint section. I wrap them to prevent legs from getting caught between them and it sorta distracts them as they try and figure out how to get it off!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is a brilliant idea Liz..... :thumb: :greengrin: