The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m really needing some advice (or reassurance?)....My son has a 2 year old Nubian doe.She produced milk at a little over a year old even though she’d never been bred. I talked to 3 diff vets, none wanted to see her, said don’t worry. Bred her this fall but she didn’t take. Yesterday my son brought her to me- she had developed abscesses on one teat and it was extremely swollen. Could not get in touch with any vets willing to see her because of Covid & not many vets want to see goats. Cleaned her up, today the abscesses broke. After calling 6 vets I finally had to call Purdue. She said keep probably CL, keep it clean and it will heal but the udder is no good. I thought staph but she said not likely since she was never freshened. This doe is normally very sweet but didn’t want Me near her now. Anyone with experience like this? Any advice? Vets in our area just aren’t interested in helping. Can I get something to help her with pain? She wasn’t in pain before, but now she seems to be. She’s still eating but I have a feeling she’s going to go downhill now.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Ouch, poor thing.
Do you have banamine? If so the dose is 1cc per 100lbs. That will help with the swelling and pain.
What kind of pus came out of the abscess? Was it thick smelly almost cream cheese consistency? Or more like liquid and kind of cloudy but thin?
If it was the thick cheesy you might have a CL issue which is spread by the pus and is VERY contagious to goats and will contaminate any thing it touches for a long time. You need to quarantine the doe in an area where she can't contaminate the herd.
If the pus was thin and liquidy then chances are it was something else.
No matter which, flush it with a tea colored diluted iodine flush away from any area your animals spend time so as not to contaminate the ground. Preferably on feed bags that can be thrown out or burned.
The lack of vet care is effecting a lot of folks right now and it's a shame.
I'm sure others will jump in with some more ideas soon.
Good luck and welcome to TGS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was not smelly at all, but did have some cottage-cheese Consistency as well as thin white liquid. I’ve sprayed it with iodine solution but am struggling to get her to let me clean it out. Now that teat is leaking what looks like thin milk.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
It was not smelly at all, but did have some cottage-cheese Consistency as well as thin white liquid. I've sprayed it with iodine solution but am struggling to get her to let me clean it out. Now that teat is leaking what looks like thin milk.
I'm going to flag some folks who have great knowledge about some of this to see if they can be of more help. I'm limited as I haven't dealt with it in my herd. I just know basics from reading a lot.

@toth boer goats @goathiker @ksalvagno @Sfgwife @Goats Rock @Moers kiko boars @SalteyLove

This link might help too

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/abscesses.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts