The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a almost month old Nubian/Boer mix surrendered yo our sanctuary from a neglect case. At first he was fine we had no issues, but woke up 3 days ago with white froth on his mouth. Immediately used frothy bloat cure and seemed to work. Only change is weather had changed and he had been allowed outside with our hay and the other babies. He is since declining and does not want to take milk replacer at all. Bought real goats milk. No interest. Keeping him hydrated with Fluids but not a long term solution. We’ve raised hundreds of kids here and never had this kind of problem. Even vet has no idea. Looking for ideas on how to help him.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
What's his current temp? How poop? Famancha? At a month old coccidia is a danger. Don't think this would cause frothiness., just thinking out loud, .when you got him did you change milk product slowly? How much does he weigh and how much is he fed?
I would start with b complex to support his system and a shot of cd antitoxin in case he ate something. Check his pen for plants, mold, anything he may have ingested to rule that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have no idea before he got here he was found at a place abandoned on place dead goats from starvation everywhere. His poop is diarrhea at the moment but head had corid and his gums and eyes are atill pink. His skin is starting to sag. Be weighs about 12lbs and had b complex 2cc yesterday. Hes fed every 6 hours but last 2 days wont take food at all. No mold. No poisonous plants he lives inside or in our hay barn

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
It's very hard on goats who were starved to refeed. There is an excellent post on here focused on refeeding a starved adult goat. For a bottle baby, a month old..not sure how much damage was done..maybe @goathiker can help with that. It can take two weeks for undigested milk to make a baby sick.. How much is he being fed? And what? With scours I would feed electrolytes in place of milk..which is hard with him dropping weight but he won't be able to digest milk right now any way. Dehydration is his enemy at the moment. If calories are definitely needed for survival...you might try electrolytes every other bottle. At 4 weeks he should get 3 feeds a day. So milk....electrolytes....milk. Pepto can help sooth his tummy and dry his bum.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Re reading and see hes getting goats milk now but is refusing food and on fluids now.. Sorry I needed to re read.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Hes had a lot going on

Tummy tamer may help sooth his tummy troubles

1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
In enough water to drench..20 cc it so. It's a big dose so split in two doses. Can do 4 times a day.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,186 Posts
Spectro guard will stop the diarrhea. Twice the pig dosage. Three days 2xs a day. I would pull the milk and only do electrolytes for 2 days. Only hay to eat. On the last day of spectroguard give him 1 feeding of electrolytes then start regular milk warmed to 100° on his feeding schedule. Only with hay to eat. Once his diarrhea stops, his rumen can start working again. The electrolytes will keep him hydrated and plenty of nutrients. When he recieves his first cows milk add a pinch of baking soda. After the 2nd day of milk. Give him probios. Hes had sooo much done, he cant catch up. Bless his heart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spectro guard will stop the diarrhea. Twice the pig dosage. Three days 2xs a day. I would pull the milk and only do electrolytes for 2 days. Only hay to eat. On the last day of spectroguard give him 1 feeding of electrolytes then start regular milk warmed to 100° on his feeding schedule. Only with hay to eat. Once his diarrhea stops, his rumen can start working again. The electrolytes will keep him hydrated and plenty of nutrients. When he recieves his first cows milk add a pinch of baking soda. After the 2nd day of milk. Give him probios. Hes had sooo much done, he cant catch up. Bless his heart.
Thank you. Turns out it was a non functioning esophageal groove

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There’s an Excellent video on tube feeding is by OSU MEAT GOATS on YouTube, can’t copy paste the link...
Thanks im a vet tech so know how to tube feed but that us just treating a symptom needed to find out what was causing it and turns out his esophageal groove wasnt closing
Wow! Thank you for updating! What are they doing to treat it?
Sometimes if they suck on finger it will trick it but we will wean early amd use a special nipple same
One they use for cleft babies

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
A goat this young, starved, has probably been eating whatever they can to survive. He may have lost the esophageal groove reflex due to disuse.
He will need to be rid of whatever is in his stomach and then tested. Head up and back or head down and stretched out properly. If it doesn't work he'll have to go on horse milk pellets

I'm kinda surprised that a vet tech would give a rumen remedy, a laxative, a stool harder, a laxative antacid, and a stool harding antacid in a short time period.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.