The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my goat will not eat? She acts like she wants to but doesnt. Its day 5 and she is losing weight. She drinks water. No diarrhea. I have dewormed, b12 shot and probiotics, vitamin punch/drench, and still no change. Could it be a toxic plant disrupting rumen?? Please, anything will help.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Get a temp, if high start antibiotics and give banamine if you have it to drop temp.

If normal or a bit sub, give probiotics and fortified vit b complex, it has thiamine in it, critical for the rumen, give SQ give 12 cc’s, it stimulates appetite. Do this for a minimum of 3 days or longer. 2 x a day.

Make an alfalfa pellet slurry, 1/4 cup of the pellets to water or electrolytes.

Get a huge syringe, no needle, new turkey baster or a cleaned empty probiotic paste tube.
Make it to where it goes through easy to feed her.

Feed slowly at the back corner of her mouth. If she coughs stop until she stops coughing then proceed.
Have her head slightly upward but not too high.

Only feed her this way, if she can swallow.

She needs nutrients and water, electrolytes may be better.

Make a new batch each time, go out every couple of hours or so and feed her and give liquids.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
@PJRow can you get us her temp asap? Also do you see her chewing a cud?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take her temp immediately. Normal range is 101.3-103-5
Check her famacha too. FAMACHA Testing
What was she dewormed with and when?
Do you hear rumen movement? You should hear a rumbling on her left side.
Does she look bloated at all?

@happybleats
And her FAMACHA test looks fine? I dont get it. Anyway, have never taken her twmp...will tey and see. Anyone ever try Kaopectate to flush any toxicity out? We suspect she may have eaten Peonies and Daffodil stems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And her FAMACHA test looks fine? I dont get it. Anyway, have never taken her temp...will try and see. Anyone ever try Kaopectate to flush any toxicity out? We suspect she may have eaten Peonies and Daffodil stems.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Any foaming at the mouth or blank stare? How old is she? Is she down or is she still able to stand under her own power?

·
Registered
692 Posts
And her FAMACHA test looks fine? I dont get it.
FAMACHA is a way we use to check for parasite load....specifically the barberpole worm. A pale inner eye lid indicates a heavy parasite load. If you suspect poisoning activated an charcoal paste is recommended.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Activated charcoal is good at binding with toxins and removing them. I have this handy: UAA Gel (Universal Animal Antidote) Universal Animal Antidote - Diarrhea Control | Digestive | Suppl

It also slows up diarrhea, FYI. If you really suspect poisoning and want activated charcoal you can probably find capsules or even tooth powder at a local natural foods store or pharmacy. I'd be skeptical that she could have eaten something so many days ago that would be presenting itself this way now...

Usually you all suggest flat dark beer for kicking up rumens, no?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Milk of magnesia is what is used to bind and flush toxins. 15 cc per 60 pounds is dose. But temp is needed to know what her body is doing. High temp shows infection while low temp shows rumen issue usually.
To take her temp...any insert type of thermometer works..I prefer digital for ease of reading. Use lub or Vaseline on the tip and insert just the tip, about 1/2 inch or so..in the rectum. 101.5-103.5 is normal range.

Give a shot of b complex. This never hurts to do when goats are not feeling their best.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 14 of 14 Posts