Need ideals on how to make a creep feeder.

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Feb 2, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Can anyone send me pics of a creep feeder that you have made. I have three week old babies and I want to set up a spot where they can start getting into feed that I can leave out, at all times for just them. So hit me with some ideals please. I appreciate any help that I receive.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try using a cattle panel, cut down to size in a pen type arrangement with a covered feed area. Kids can get through the larger oenings and the adults can't. It can be made freestanding or attached to the shelter.

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I've been thinking about creep feeders too (even though I'm more than a month away from having the first baby goaties). My concern is that the older goats my get aggressive near a grain feeder kept on the other side of the fence where the hole is only big enough for a baby goat's head to get through.... I have visions of a little one happily munching away on grain that only he/she can reach them BAM! An older goat rams into her & hurts her bad....

ok, yes, I'm paranoid..... and too broke to buy creep feeders so I found this very affordable version:

http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/creep.html

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    sorry....... that's the same thing Liz just suggested :doh:

5. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    this is how redneck I am,
    we had taken apart an old metal futon couch, I took one look at them large metal pieces and said YES i can use them
    I have a large dog crate half secured to the wall and one of them pieces kitty cornered to it PRESTO! kids go in, moms stay out
    right now I have the heat lamp there to use but when the time comes to feed the kids I can place their feed in there too safe from the moms

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    here is my redneck kid area

[​IMG]

7. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    That is so cute nhsmallfarmer, it looks like it works and thats all that matters. Thanks for the help everyone.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey I LOVE redneck ideas, they are the best and most affordable. The funny part, I have two gates that are made out of that same thing, (looks like it). They were to a old metal bunk bed, matter of fact a lot of my barn is just "put together" with parts.

9. keebausch

keebausch New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I really like the idea of the creep feeder made out of a cattle panel. I will have to try that.

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He he! I thought about using the exact same thing! I don't think it's redneck at all! It's called being thrifty. :p

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i saw one made of wood...covered and very nice (it was on a ND website) but I forget the name :doh: