The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We live in southern WI, zone 5a. We lost an old apple tree and the area needs replanted. It's a strange space next to a hay mow and old silo foundation- I don't want to try to establish grass and mow it. It's pretty hot, south sloping (but building blocks some morning sun) and rocky. There is also a downspout from our machine shed that drains on the lower side. Chickens are often in this area and I want to plant something pretty, and goat, sheep, chicken friendly. I really don't care if they eat the whole thing (we can keep them clear of it most of the time). I want to avoid anything toxic and really tall. Native or medicinal would be a nice plus.

So far my ideas are daylilies (ditch lilies or something fancier), carpet junipers, agastache, echinacea, the native (lavendar) monarda. Do you have experience with these? I'd especially like to know any toxicity concerns; there is so much conflicting information. Maybe you have other suggestions for us? I'll take those too! I'll try to get a photo of the spot today. Should I tag anyone in particular?

I'm so excited to hear your ideas and experiences!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
mine dont like lavendar, but you could plant sunflowers! mine love those!
Here is what my book says

Plant a goat garden!
"grow milk in your garden" by planting sunflowers (the seeds are high in protien and goats eat the entire plant) mangel beets, Jerusalem artichockes, pumpkins, comfery, carrots, and turnips, among others.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Native or medicinal would be a nice plus.
My book says that goats and rabbits love comfery, it can be dried for hay, and for medicinal use, you can make a salve from it by thouroughly mashing 5 large clean comfery leaves with 1/4 c unhydrongenated oil, and it can be applied to your and your goats wounds :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ideas! I can transplant some comfrey- we have plenty of that. Sunflowers are a great idea. While out pruning today I thought a lactation garden would be fun. You were a step ahead of me!

I think I'll do a mix of lacto+ and dewormers. Many of these are cheap, free or seed I have on hand so no big losses if stuff doesn't germinate well.

So far a mix:
marshmallow (don't know about it's culture)
fennel
chicory
dill
garlic chives
hyssop
mullein

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I let my goats out often and about 40 feet from their pen, is my garden. The veggies are in a fence, but on the outside, i have herbs. The only thing they seem to nibble on is the parsley. I have basil, lavendar, parsley, and mint out there. Everything else is by my porch so no animals get to them lol (CHICKENS!!)

If i were you, i would still plant lavendar though, becuase i absolutely love it, but thats just me lol. Marshmalllow flowers are also beautiful. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts