The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now I feed my goats hay on the ground, but they waste so much. I am trying to think of a way to feed hay outside that would slow the waste using materials I have. I have a ton of different kinds of wire and even a little tikes playhouse I have thought about using. Please share ideas and pictures!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, they will waste hay if fed on the ground...in a bad way...also makes them more susceptible to disease...best thing is to build a box about head high(maybe a little lower to prevent pinkeye) that has a cattle panel on the front from which they feed. I built a box from wood that's about the size if a bail...put small cattle panel square on one long end. You can also get ideas from googling hay feeder...lots of neat ideas...take a commercial product and use your imagination with the materials you have. Good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is what we have.... We picked up a few 55 gallon barrels for like 8 bucks a piece. We split them in half and then if you have babies or a smaller breed you can cut a little hole at the bottom so they get everything.

The hole on one of them is a little to big because they were origionally baby huts but the babies grew out of them so fast that we decided to use the huts for feeders instead.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
As of right now I feed my goats hay on the ground, but they waste so much. I am trying to think of a way to feed hay outside that would slow the waste using materials I have.
Do you have any cattle or hog panels available? I've wired one end of either one to an existing fence, left the other end open and put 1/2 of a 3 X 3 X 8 flake of hay in between the two, then pushed it up against the 1/2 flake of hay and wired it at the other end. There was almost no waste. If you're feeding small square bales, you could staple a vertical piece of 2X4 to either end then wire to give you the space to drop the flakes of the small square into the feeder one at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts