The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, I need some ideas.

Currently I have my does separated from my kids overnight so that I can milk in the morning. I have my barn divided down the middle with the does on the left and my kids on the right. I then have a piece of fence dividing my two does from each other on the left, because they have been fighting like crazy and I'm afraid that someone's going to get hurt if locked in a stall with each other. See attachment below if you aren't understanding what I'm describing. The trouble is I've been using field fencing to make my division because it's the only extra fence I have, and this stuff is just not working out. The does stand on it and stick their heads through the fence and try to bulldoze through it to try to get to things they want. It's quite frankly it's a nightmare.

Couple issues that are stopping me from solving this problem myself:
  1. I cant drive a t post into my barn floor to help sturdy up the fence because the ground is too rocky/hard
  2. I can't buy any panel fencing to use because nowhere near me sells any with small enough holes that the does couldn't stick their heads through or kids couldn't get through
  3. It has to be removeable.
I'm thinking maybe some sort of dog kennel panels or something. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
With the prices of lumber being so high, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper than dog panels, but you could build your own stall panels. I made mine out of 2x4's screwed to landscape timbers using 5 2x4's, 6' long, spaced out for a 4' high panel. Then I tacked hardware cloth to the inside so the kids couldn't climb out and the does couldn't stick their heads through. It is lightweight, easy to disassemble and I haven't had to replace anything, even works for horses. They also have a nice look. I don't have a picture on here, but hopefully you can understand the general idea from my description.
Can you find horse panels? If so, another option would be attaching a horse panel to timbers and screwing the timbers to each other.

Edited to add:
They look like this, only with hardware cloth fastened to them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When our high school was open the welding class would take orders from people. You tell them what you want and they make it for you and it’s just the cost of supplies, which they get a discount on. See if your local high school has something like that. I am currently saving money for them to make me panels when they open back up or if it’s more then this or I get impatient I’m going to buy these

Every section is 2’ long and they just slide together, that way if you end up wanting to use them for something else, with a different Dimension you can.
But I do agree definitely look into lumber first, my biggest issue is lack of time for making things but it might be a whole lot cheaper if you have the tools already and easy to make

·
Registered
746 Posts
We have a couple of these, and I've used them to divide up the stalls before. MIDWEST Wire Dog Exercise Pen with Step-Thru Door, Gold Zinc, 30-in - Chewy.com
They're not very hefty, so if your goats beat on them, the panels will probably bend and come apart. But they have worked fine for my goats so far!
You've probably already asked about this, but if you can get horse panels anywhere, those are really nice to use with goats. They can't get their heads through the openings.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Another option is taping the teats instead of seperating the kids from moms. I didn’t know about this option when I had my first kids, but I would try that with Willow’s next kidding.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the prices of lumber being so high, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper than dog panels, but you could build your own stall panels. I made mine out of 2x4's screwed to landscape timbers using 5 2x4's, 6' long, spaced out for a 4' high panel. Then I tacked hardware cloth to the inside so the kids couldn't climb out and the does couldn't stick their heads through. It is lightweight, easy to disassemble and I haven't had to replace anything, even works for horses. They also have a nice look. I don't have a picture on here, but hopefully you can understand the general idea from my description.
Can you find horse panels? If so, another option would be attaching a horse panel to timbers and screwing the timbers to each other.

Edited to add:
They look like this, only with hardware cloth fastened to them.
I think I get the idea 🙂. Would you just screw them to the walls then and unscrew them to remove them? Do you happen to know the size of hardware cloth you used?

I use pallets as dividers for my goats they work well
Hmm, that's something I hadn't considered. I have a few laying around. I'll have to see if that would work.

Another option is taping the teats instead of seperating the kids from moms. I didn’t know about this option when I had my first kids, but I would try that with Willow’s next kidding.
That is a very interesting idea. I've heard of taping teats, but never really knew it could be used like that. Is there a special teat tape or is it some sort of conventional tape from around the house?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That is a very interesting idea. I've heard of taping teats, but never really knew it could be used like that. Is there a special teat tape or is it some sort of conventional tape from around the house?
I use a bandaid over the orifice, then circle the ends of the bandaid with medical paper tape. It has a good stick, but is easy to tear when taking it off. My doe didn’t like me fumbling with it, so this way (tear the paper tape and pull it all off) it was quicker.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Would you just screw them to the walls then and unscrew them to remove them? Do you happen to know the size of hardware cloth you used?
I used good pallets for the back walls. By good, I mean almost all the way filled in with slats. Didn't want anybody getting their head stuck. They doubled as nice hay feeders too. So I screwed the panels to the pallets. I actually just adjusted the size of one of my stalls and it was so easy to move and refasten them.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! Something like that just might work!

I'm still considering the teat taping thing, but until it's warm enough to let the goats out at night I'm still going to need some sort of division system.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!

·
Fair-Haven
4,596 Posts
if you have a high production doe, Ive found you dont have to pull at all, I'm getting a 1/2 gallon in the am - before the twins are awake daily. They all stay happy, and I get enough until weaning.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you have a high production doe, Ive found you dont have to pull at all, I'm getting a 1/2 gallon in the am - before the twins are awake daily. They all stay happy, and I get enough until weaning.
That probably wouldn't work for my does. I'm only getting about a quart and a half with separation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts