Need idea's please for Copper ...drenching , cookies, etc ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Bellafire Farm, May 14, 2010.

1. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So,
    I am trying to get creative here. My Nigerians are in need of some addt'l copper, which I have Copasure on hand, but I'm trying to find a "nice" way to administer the rods. Have tried shotting the smaller (reduced) capsules using a smaller gun, but still LOTS of fighting, choking, CHEWING, etc. Have also recently tried the Marshmallow idea, but that cannot stand Marshmallows. So I'm interested to know what others do to be creative?
    I am used to "drenching" animals as we had market lambs for years, and I also drench a little vitamin/mineral/B-Compx. to my girls when they are stressed or "off" at all (They absolutely LOVE getting this drench!! Like candy!!)...which got me thinking...why can't a just put a tiny amount of rods into the little syringe?
    Any opinions on this? They get it right down the very back of their cheeks & it's all liquid so there's no chewing involved at all. Just wondering if this might work?
    Otherwise, maybe I'll try to mix up some kind of cookie or ball treat??? But what to make it out of?

Thanks in advance for the creative idea's and suggestions! I really appreciate it and really want to get some copper in these guys.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Re: Need idea's please for Copper ...drenching , cookies, et

Its been found that the chewing is not as bad as once thought. Some have been sprinkling the rods on the feed. Just make sure you feed only enough they can consume in 5 minutes or less so none is left. Also feed one at a time so only the goat who the dose is for gets it all.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

my friend makes up ritz crackers with peanutbutter and makes little sandwhiches. Each goat gets a decoy one and then they get one with the rods in the peanutbutter

so far its worked otu nicely.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Where do you get the copper rods at?

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

We order them from Jeffers Livestock. They come in the form of huge boluses we break down and repack to the size each goat needs. The name is Copasure.
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... w=copasure

6. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Ok,
    So tomorrow I'm off to buy little Ritz Crackers...
    Thank you for the tip...

Do you see any issue's with the drenching though? They just really love this stuff, so I thought it might be easy to try and slip a few rods in it & see how they do... but I certainly didn't want to be harming them by having the rods go into an incorrect area or something weird.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

I use the marshmallows but my friend made the goats each a half of a peanut butter sandwich with the copper and they sucked it down fast.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no not the little ones -- the big ritz crackers an dthen spread peanut butter on one half and make sandwiches out of them

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

How much copper per lbs? I like the sandwich idea. I use hot dog buns to worm them. Place the syrnge in it, let them take the end and squirt it right down the gullet. :p No fuss. No muss. They do make faces that are pretty funny.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the dosage is 1 gram per 22lbs

1 gram = 3 1/2 units (less then 1/2cc)
    2 gram = 7 units (just over 1/2cc)

so 3 1/2 units per 22lbs
    or 7 units per 44lbs

1cc is aprox 3.1 grams

1cc will dose a 68lb goat

1/2cc will dose a 35lb goat

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Thanks Stacy. I'll see if TSC has any or can get it. I should just move in. Maybe they could put me a cot in the back. :p

Gina

12. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Ok, Thought I would check back in to let others know how it went...

SUCCESS!! I cannot believe how stupid I feel for fretting about this for months!! I put a small amount of the copper rods mixed into about 1/4 -1/2 tsp. of creamy peanut butter. I put this little blob of "special" peanut butter on the end of my finger, then opened their mouth and stuck in on the back of their tongue. I didn't hear any chewing, just some smacking of lips, and everyone seemed to LOVE it! The buck especially would have eaten it till the sun went down!
    Hooray!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

awesome -- glad it all went well :)

14. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan

LOL you are a genius!

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Migoat,
    They do catch on after awhile and will give you a funny look. "Hey. She's got the long bread again. Better smell it first. If it smells like garlic, it's a trick." :laugh:

Gina