Need info on CL

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by andiplus5, Apr 7, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    The goats my dh and neighbor just bought at auction weren't in the best of health to begin with but one of them had a lump on her udder. I went out there with gloved hands and tried mushing it around to see if it was hard or soft or what. It popped and gunk came out. The gunk is sortof solid and it is whitish, yellowish. Not a lot of it. I squished it into a tissue and put it in a baggie. The abcess didn't drain after that, it just kinda sealed over. I went back out there with gauze and ointment and covered it. It was already sealed over by then. It didn't dribble out or run out it was thick and solid and had to pushed out. Is this CL or just some kind of abcess?? I thought maybe it might just an abcess, but I found two scars on her jaw that makes me think it's CL.
    Anybody have any suggestions? I will get the gunk tested, but I need to know where and how much. It might be cheaper to shoot her.
    Thanks,
    Andi

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is a lab that I use to run all of my bloodwork out of Texas. It is $6.00 per test. And you can run up to 6 tests per tube. For a CL test and they run blood on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you would like the name of it, I can give it to you. There is alot of WONDERFUL information on the web about CL - but until it is confirmed I would not have that goat anywhere near your other goats or where your other goats will be unless you want to clean the heck out of that area.

3. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    No it isn't anywhere near my other goats. I would love the name of the lab that does your tests. Is CL contagious all the time or only when an abcess bursts? If only when an abcess bursts, how long do you keep them quarantined each time?
    Andi

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Is the only way to spread CL through the gunk? I am scared to death about CL :shocked:

5. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    me too, me too, me too........
    Andi

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely, unless you can confirm with blood tests DO NOT put here with your healthy goats, as since this has opened you run the risk of it spreading if it is CL. Take a syringe ful of peroxide and flush the hole out, be sure to catch the run off into a throw away container as you do not want to contaminate the area, you will need to do this daily so that it heals...the fact that you found scars on her jaw do indicate previous abcesses. They are contagious when the lumps burst, so if you have it tested and it comes back positive, IMO , I'm sorry to say that I would cull her. I was in a similar situation 2 years ago and was forced to make the decision on keeping my herd healthy or culling the goat in question. IAf they also have internal abcesses, which of course you would not know this, and they burst it is possible that it can be spread through coughing and sneezing.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh yeah, that's right I knew there was some way through coughing. Is that very likely though?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yes the only way to spread CL is through the gunk HOWEVER it can live in the ground, on fences and so on!

The name of the lab is:

Pan American Vet Labs

pavlab.com

Robert L. Glass

800 856 9655

Mr. Bob is AWESOME!!! But there is a trick to shipping - so PM me privately! I learned the hard way and I would hate to see someone else have to wait like I did! Mr Bob will even Email you the results the day that he runs them if you ask him to.

I had a scare a couple weeks ago that I thought that a couple does that I purchased had CL - that is how I became so edumacated! LOL!

Also, CL can be internally, so alot of times when kids are born to a CL doe, the kids are pulled and bottle fed because their COULD be an internal abcess not able to be seen on the outside and then the kids are tested no earlier then 6 moths to see if they are positive for the virus or not.

Hope this helps

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Could you PM me the information about sending the tubes in? I am going to be doing my own herd testing next year.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This lab will test for up to 6 different Caprine diseases. Cae, CL, Johnes, ....... I had the two samples that I sent in run for CL and Johnes and it was $11.00 per tube!

Hope this helps!

Allison

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, if possible I'd like the info also seeing as how I'm hoping to register kids next year...the testing may be beneficial.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have read that if they have internal abcess' they can spread CL by coughing, if the abcess is on the lungs. If there are ones in the udder they can spread it through the milk.
    beth

13. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    Allison,
    I can't pm yet. My email address is andiplus5@yahoo.com. If you could email the info I would appreciate it.
    Thank you,
    Andi

14. Rose

Rose New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Texas and Missouri
    Please post the mailing/shipping info on the board. Thanks!

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ms. Rose,

Unfortunately I do not feel comfortable posting the info on the forum as anyone can see it, member or not. If you would like info on mailing samples in and my experience with doing so I would be happy to send the info to you in an email since you can not pm as of yet.

Thank you for understanding.

Allison