Need input about medicated feed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Due to battling coccidia in our 2 five month+ kids, we bought some medicated feed yesterday formulated for goats that contains monensin (which I think is the same thing as Rumensin). I know we can also buy a goat feed containing decoquinate (deccox) locally.

I had read that Monensin can be unsafe for other animals if they accidentally eat the feed. For all I know the same may be true for Deccox.

We have not fed it to the doelings yet as we are actually still looking to buy Deccox (I've seen crumbles on line and in another post it was mentioned it could be bought mixed with cornmeal). I would add the correct dosage to their current feed to minimize a change in diet and to better ensure each doeling gets the amount she needs to be preventative.

However, IF I CAN'T find it, can someone recommend which would be the safest coccidiostat to have in medicated feed . . . monensin/rumensin OR deccox.

Thank you :sun:

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    kidsnpeeps you are absolutely correct about monensin! It is potentally fatal in horses. It is also not to be fed to lactating goats, which Im assuming is for human consumption, but my meat does get it while nursing babies.
    We use a meatgoat developer which contains monensin.