Need Input - Fencing or Buck house

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mon Reve Farm, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I need to quickly make a decision so as to get some work completed on the farm in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

We have a 30X40X10 pole barn that has 3 horse stalls, large goat pen, maternity pen and hay/other storage. It has an outside pen 40X100 feet directly off of it for the goats.

A few weeks ago we installed a home made run in shed with 10X90 foot pen for the bucklings. The run in shed is built with leftover materials from the barn so it has metal siding and roofing. Two of our spring wethers are in with the bucklings.

My options are to spend money on fencing supplies for a new pen off of the current goat pen for the herd OR build a buck house.

Of course DH and my partner says its my decision because it is my money. But I worry if we don't build a buck house and have another winter like last year I will have to put the boys in the barn during bad weather. But as you can imagine the larger herd needs more space so I can rotate them.

Thoughts? Especially any of you in the east or DelMarVa??

2. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I would vote buck house, since shelter is a bigger priority, and they can always have more hay. Do you have the option of getting some cattle panels to make some temp fencing for rotation? Thats what we are doing, though with a dog run/kennel at the moment for grazing. Its easy to drag around, so they get fresh grass.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    all I had for ages for my goats was a run-in shelter and they were fine. We used this for 12 years. I live in Southern New Jersey.

how many goats do you have in the 40X100 pen? sounds like a nice size for a small herd but you may have a larger herd then I do (I have a tiny herd :p )

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We have the following in the larger herd:
    4 Senior Does
    1 Junior Doe
    4 Doelings
    3 Wethers

We have our two bucklings and two wethers in the buck pen. One of the wethers in the larger pen may move once he is bigger to the buck pen with the other boys.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    will you be able to afford fencing by spring? or is it now or not until further notice?

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I could afford to do fencing in spring.

I have already planned that my tax return will be split between moving/updating the irrigation system and second well that were on the property when we bought it and goat related expenses.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so I think if you feel your buck house is inadequate and you have funds coming in the spring then maybe the buck house is better to be done now since you do have a fairly nice size functioning pen right now. But once babies start to arrive it will "shrink" and you will want that bigger pen.

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I have an idea that might let me do both... sort of

Lowe's offers a metal shed kit that I think is 10'X8' for under $300. On it's own it wouldn't be enough in for winter. Even though we are in Southern Delaware zone 7 weather our biggest problem is winds. Being between the Chesapeake Bay and ocean the wind tunnels created across this flat state are pretty bad where I am due to the open farm land.

So what if we frame out the interior just like building a pole barn... insulate and put up "walls". This would also allow me to install a corner hay rack that I have and hang the water buckets.

That keeps the price down and I could still get some fencing supplies to put in another section off the herds main pen. It won't be the bigger area I wanted to do but I could do a 20'X100' pen immediately off the current one.

Thoughts?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a winner to me :thumb:

Goats really dont mind the cold that much as they mind the heat. So as long as they have a place to get out of the sleet and driving winds they will be fine

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree...great idea, and cheap too.