Need input on how to best make Gabby her own "living space"

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kelly G, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    We have 2.5 acres that we purchased a year and a half ago (it's about 2 miles from our house), and we built a barn for our horses...then along came Gabby - and she needs some goat accomodations.

Here is our barn (new stall not painted, yet):
    [​IMG]

We have a few options (that we can think of) and would like input from people with some experience....

1) We have this modified childrens' playhouse. The playhouse measures 4'x4' square, and there is now a ramp with rungs she could use to get in (she has arthritis, so she can't jump in or out). I have used it to raise my chicks in, but they are grown and now living in a 50'x50' chicken paradise...
    [​IMG]
    using this would require a lot of dis-assembly (the run is attatched to the playhouse) as it's in a seperate area from the horses, and I don't think she wants to be seperated from the "herd"...such as it is.

2) I saw someone who made an nice shelter with palletts...it was simple and very effective...but not beautiful unless we did a lot of creative things...and I'm not very creative! It would end up being down at the end of the barn by the palamino - which is far away from her favorite stall at the end (unpainted) close to her BFF's turnout area. I can't put anything unattractive down there as that is what people first see of our riding academy, so it needs to look pretty nice.

3) The space between the unpainted stall and the washrack (about 3.5' and as wide as she needed) be closed in (partially) and filled with fluffy shavings...giving me a table to work on, Gabby some space close to her food, water, and a fan in summer. I just don't know if she'll like being there.

Her preference is Stanley's stall (unpainted) and if all the horses are in and she can't go in a stall, she will then excavate a space for herself in front of that stall or the middle stall.

With all of your goat experience, what do you think??? What would be best received by a very picky goat???

2. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Is there some reason why she can't share a stall w/Stanley? :whatgoat:

Deb Mc

3. If it were me, I would just fience that area in from of your stalls and leave a gate so you could walk in and out. Then should could free rance and use the wash rack area if it rains. If your property if finced in I would not even worry about it and let her roam. She does not need a stall she just needs a place to avoid the FL rain if she needs to and could get that fine in that area. Sure if you want to add a igloo under there or something she can call a "bed" that is fine but really not needed.

I also noticed you chicken pen is in a finced area. I am not sure what resides there but if nothing does, that would be fine and add a hut or sorts. If you are worried about her getting lonely, what better reason to get a wether and let him and her keep each other company.

Growing up we had two goats for years with the 200 or so horses and they always did fine. Once the one died though, the other went right after. I always thing two of any thing is better then one. I mean thing, if you were put with a bunch of dogs, you would never be lonely but conversation would be short lived, another friend with the dogs would be fun. HEHE

4. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Stanley is not a good room-mate for Gabs...he's an idiot in his stall. It's hard to tell since the stalls are seperated, but his stall is much taller than the other two (8") as he himself is so tall...so I can't switch his stall with one of the other horses.

If we used they childrens' play house, we would detatch the fenced area - it's too small for even on goat...but the play house is the perfect size for a shelter for a goat to go in and out of...the problem is moving it and detatching it...it's heavy and a I'll loose my "chick nursery". But it can be done.

I need to leave the washrack open in the front/back...she definitely uses it for shelter from the rain when the stalls are not available (ie the horses are in them - because it's raining outside...pretty much the only time I lock them in). But she is not very comfortable laying on the cold cement.

I tried to put a dog bed on the wash rack - but she used it for a bed AND a toilet...that was GROSS and had to be thrown OUT!

I'm leaning towards making her a space next to the wash rack with soft bedding, shelter on 3 sides, and a top to shelter her from rain/wind (and I can use the top as a table/work area). I just hope she'll use it!

This is a quick video of Gabby (taken when we thought she might have been pregnant) that shows the property where the animals are -

[​IMG]

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Kudos to you for rescuing Gabby! She's a lucky girl.

Pallet shelter - Living in a warm climate (central AZ), that is an option here. We rigged up a temp shelter for our goats that ties into the turkey coop and fencing until hubby has time to build something proper/better. We set a pallet crate (used for the large floor tiles, has 3' sides) on it's side at one corner and our goats prefer to duck into that cubby under the roof overhang of the coop instead of using their loafing shed, a separate structure. We used another pallet on the opposite end to make a stall and their loose mineral feeders are wired onto one of the 2X4s. Then we installed overhead supports for a canopy covering the entire eyesore, or goat "barrio" as we call it. While not the nicest looking set-up, the goats love it. :crazy:

Nice horse set-up, btw.

6. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks! The barn (my hubby built it for me) works great for Florida - nice and open to allow as much breeze as we can get! Our normal routine is the horses are in all day (to stay cool with the shade and they each have a fan) and they are turned out all night...they are also in if it's raining.

On the days we get that are cold (by Florida Standards, anything below 40 is cold!), I put a blanket on whoever needs one - and it's usually just for the night.

Gabby just needs a space she can call her own. The problem is when the horses are in and she has no stall, whe digs up the area in front of the stalls to lay close to them and have shelter from the rain/heat/whatever...and she's really tearing it up.

We're still working on a solution...but we sure do love this goat! We "camped" out on the property last night (we have an R.V.) and she lays on my feet by the campfire! Smart goat!
    :laugh:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ONce you get her a buddy she wont be as desiring to be so close to the horses and then she will stay in a stall or enclosed area better.

Until then try putting some hay down in one spot where you suggested making her a place and see if seh gravitates to it - adn yes goats will pee on their bedding drives me nuts :hair:

8. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009

Ok...I put down bedding for her in the "trial" area...I should be able to tell tomorrow by a "poopy trail"!