The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of does from a gal. I've had them about 2 months now. One is getting ready to have her babies in about 3 weeks. The previous owner of the goats told me that she never allowed the goats to raise their babies. After they were born she took them away from the mom and bottle fed them. I personally want to allow the doe to be able to raise her babies until they are about 6-8 weels old and then wean them off of mom. I would like to let nature take it's course and allow her to be a mother.
The doe has had babies 2 times now and never raised her babies. My question is, do you think it would be a problem for either the doe or the babies if I let her raise her babies after kidding 2 times and not raising them before?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I bought a couple of does from a gal. I've had them about 2 months now. One is getting ready to have her babies in about 3 weeks. The previous owner of the goats told me that she never allowed the goats to raise their babies. After they were born she took them away from the mom and bottle fed them. I personally want to allow the doe to be able to raise her babies until they are about 6-8 weels old and then wean them off of mom. I would like to let nature take it's course and allow her to be a mother.
The doe has had babies 2 times now and never raised her babies. My question is, do you think it would be a problem for either the doe or the babies if I let her raise her babies after kidding 2 times and not raising them before?
I've down this successfully. We had a nubian that always had babies pulled until we bought her. We were there when she kidded and after babies were breathing and doing okay we immediately put the baby in front of her. Then we helped baby find the teat and latch on. My husband had to help the doe stand still until she got the hang of being a mamma but she caught on.

The first kidding season she raised her own babies, she wasn't as loving and nurturing as my other does who never had babies pulled. The second kidding season she was a natural and loved on her little buckling like any other mamma in my barn.

Just have patience and know that you might have to teach the mammas what to do if they aren't quite getting it. Be prepared to go out several times a day and see that babies stomachs look like they are slightly rounded from milk, make sure they are peeing and pooping too. Also get birth weights on babies and weigh ever couple of days to make sure they are gaining. This all helps to make sure mamma is giving baby what they need. If it's really not working out then don't stress and know bottle feeding is always an option.

·
14,730 Posts
I would definitely try to let mom raise babies. Put them in front of her, encourage her to lick them - don't be afraid to get in there and help sometimes they need our reassurance and guidance to help them figure it out.

I absolutely would not consider weaning at 6-8 weeks old. IMO no baby should be weaned until at minimum 10 weeks. 8 weeks is pushing it, especially if you want them to grow well and thrive. 10 weeks is minimum for us with bucks/wethers, and 12 weeks for does.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Just 1 question....did she pull the kids because the doe was positive for CAE, or just because she wanted the milk? If the doe has a disease that will pass on to the kids, then it would not be in their best interests to let them be dam raised.

I let my does raise their buck kids and I pull all the does and any bucks that may be sire material to be bottle raised heat treated/pasteurized. All of the does are great about raising their kids after having them pulled previously. I think you will be fine, just keep an eye on her/them for the first few hours.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.