The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely new to goats and don't know much about goat diseases. My Vet has told me that she would give me medications to keep on hand to use in an emergency (I'm in the medical profession and take care of her family), BUT I have to do the research and learn about each medication and what it is used to treat BEFORE she dispenses it. Can anyone give me a short and to the point list of the most common diseases and their meds? I seem to be running into conflicting ideas about worming meds and schedules. I also see many of you use homeopathic treatments which I think are underutilized in human medicine.
All ideas will be helpfully.
Thanks

·
14,615 Posts
I am absolutely new to goats and don't know much about goat diseases. My Vet has told me that she would give me medications to keep on hand to use in an emergency (I'm in the medical profession and take care of her family), BUT I have to do the research and learn about each medication and what it is used to treat BEFORE she dispenses it. Can anyone give me a short and to the point list of the most common diseases and their meds? I seem to be running into conflicting ideas about worming meds and schedules. I also see many of you use homeopathic treatments which I think are underutilized in human medicine.
All ideas will be helpfully.
Thanks
Worming meds & scheds are all going to be somewhat different because we live in different parts of the country & all over the world & have different management. So far we dont have barber pole up here whereas other places it is a battle.
CDT helps protect against clostridium, enterotoxemia (over eating disease) & tetaunus.
But there will be times when someone is going to get a deep wound or you will have to fish around for unborn kids or have an expired one in there. Penicillian is great for both.
Pneumonia is treated with Nuflor or La200.
My personal favorites are preventative; clean water in clean buckets scrubbed out often, feeding off the ground & a good loose mineral with high copper level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts