need mineral options explained please...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by raftert, Apr 19, 2009.

1. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I read the post on what minerals to feed, but my questions is what form do the minerals come in? Are they a block? I have a cobalt block out with my goats but nothing else yet. When I got my two does, I was told that when Breezy was fed "goat food" that she got sick. I didn't manage to get any better details, but I think they were reffering to a type of goat grain that they fed, and it sounded like she bloated when she ate it. So I figured I better get some advice before I put out anything other than salt. I am in Canada, so I doubt that brand names of Mineral choices will help me any, but I what should I be asking for when I go to the feed store? If the minerals are in a block form then that's easy to put out, if they are typically in a crumble form then do I put them out free choice?

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Goats do best with loose minerals not a block. The mineral should have a good amount of copper; one of the favorites of people here is Sweetlix. Goats can use the blocks they're just not usually as effective as the loose. The mineral should be available 24/7.

Goats can easily bloat from over eating, especially grains or feed. It sounds like that's what happened. Feed should be offered once or twice a day in small amounts (depending on the size of the goat, if it's a lactating or pregnant doe, etc.). Most wethers shouldn't be given feed (IMO) at all, or only as an occasional treat due to UC issues.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with...Cinder....ask for loose salt and minerals for cattle .....it will have copper in it....... :wink: :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As was mentioned, a loose mineral made for cattle would be the next choice if goat specific minerals are not available.

A "Pasture Mineral" would suffice.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a loose mineral is usualy granular or powery. what i have actually looks like sand.

I leave this out "free choice" which means they can eat it at will.

grain should be given once or twice a day and taken away if not finnished (decrease grain if this happends). For a non lactating doe she only needs aprox 1cup as i do think you said the Vet told you she needed to gain a little weight.

Hay should be her main diet and be sure she has this free choice or if not free choice at least twice a day.

I feed mine hay twice a day and grain once a day. So far this has worked even with them pregnant.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    mine is a sandy consistency as well......I like it better than powdery... so they don't inhale it up there noses ... :wink: :greengrin:

7. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I will see what our feed store has available for a loose mineral. I have only been giving them a handful each of COB when I put them away at night. At this point if either of the does are bred it would still be pretty early and so far their condition looks good. They are on free feed hay for about 12 hours of the day and they are locked in at night (I don't have a guardian dog, but I do have coyotes around).