Need more feed or just carrying low?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Blessed Boer's, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Blessed Boer's

Blessed Boer's Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    This is Chloe she is still 6 weeks from due date. She has started to get more skeleton in hips and spine. Looks like her belly is either dropping or she is losing weight.
    She is a ff and has no other symptoms so just wondering if I need to do something different.
    The second picture is my other one built similar to Chloe and is due in 3 weeks. She is sitting higher.
    They are both commercial boers.
    Thanks

IMG_1610657084.064884.jpg

IMG_1610657097.371194.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It IS normal for the babies to drop prior to kidding. However, you definitely want to keep an eye on her body condition. A sudden loss of body fat could indicate ketosis and/or hypocalcemia. But don't judge her body condition by her pregnant hips. Instead, feel her ribs - are they jutting out? Or are they smoothed over with a wee bit of fat? You can also feel the pad on her chest. (The part of her brisket that gets calloused from her lying down) If the skin on either side of the pad is level with the pad or puffing slightly, she's good. If the skin sinks away from the pad you may want to start treating her with calcium and some high energy drenches/foods.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I agree that hips aren't a great place to judge and the stomach definitely drops.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Blessed Boer's

Blessed Boer's Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone! I did check her overall body condition and she is good.
    Guess I forgot about that. Duh!
    Just kinda got worried by noticing her hip and spine.
    Thanks for your help!

6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine