need opinions about this goat's udder

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Saanens N Alpines, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    This udder pic is of a goat I found online and was thinking about buying. She is bred, but dried up and this pic was taken when she was drying up. The lady doesn't have a pic of the udder when it was full. Do some goats dry up lopsided or is it an indication of how the udder would look full? Also what about those bulging veins? I am looking for a goat for my ds that will do well in the showring. This goat has a great show body, but I am wondering about the udder.

[​IMG]

2. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    How many times has she freshened? If she's a first freshener thats a pretty good udder. I have definitily seen worse. If she dam raised her kids then that might just be how her udder was when they took her kids off of her. Might just have had more milk in one side when her kids left (or when she was last milked). Or maybe her udder is just lopsided. Hope this helps. :wink:

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I didn't pay attention to my goat when she was in milk... but I believe mine wasn't perfect during her FF. I don't know her bloodlines though, as she was a cheap healthy goat in milk. I was happy to purchase her as I was feeding 3 babies on goat replacer, so she helped me save a bit of money.

I would say it's possible. I heard kids normally have a favorite teat to drink off of, perhaps it's the teat, bag it's attached to, or taste, we don't know.

4. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I should have added that this pic was after her second freshening and she did not have kids on her, as they are advertised as following strict CAE prevention. Are those bulging veins unusual, or something they would be judged down for? My current does don't have those!

I definitely don't want to buy this doe if she has a lopsided udder. I haven't heard back from the lady as to wether she was lopsided when full, but thought I'd get as many opinions as possible.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The veins indicate a high producer...as far as the uneven look, if she's been hand milked, it could just be that the person doing the milking has more strength in one hand than the other, future freshenings will likely even things out. She has nice teat placement and I'm sure that if she was in peak production and full the rear attachment would look wider than it does now.

6. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    So the veins are a good thing or okay when judged in the showring? My older doe gives over 3/4 gallon per milking, but she doesn't have the big veins.

The lady said this does production was 1/2 to 3/4 gallon, but I haven't heard back if she meant per milking or per day (possibly 2 milkings). She said her other does gave a gallon plus per day. I'm still waiting to hear back from the lady, so I can decide if I want to buy her.

7. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I decided to pass on her even though she had a beautiful body. Couldn't take the chance on the udder. It looked damaged on the right side to me.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's always best I think to go with gut feelings...if she didn't seem right to you then she likely wasn't.

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Always go with your gut. I will add I have does that dried up faster on one side like that doe MIGHT be doing and it never effected other freshenings.

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I dont know alot about dairy since I raise boers but I must say I am not to impressed with that udder. My boer does udders are fuller then that and more even while supporting kids.

11. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Well she did say she was 3/4 dry in this pic, so I have no idea how it looked full, but she also said that her udder became unbalanced looking after a couple months each time she freshened. I'm still looking for a Tog and found a breeder that looks promising, but have to wait till spring before she has any for sale. Does anyone here have Togs?

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    *jumps up and down waving hand in the air* oooh oooh I have toggs! I have toggs!

well kinda ...

fwiw I like that as a drying off udder ...

13. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI

Wish you were closer so I could buy one from you :)

I ended up coming accross this ladies website where there was pic of this goat, same udder, same dam and it said her udder had been damaged on the right side by mastitis. I guess my instinct was right, but she did not tell me about it when I questioned her and in fact said the udder was just like that, and it wasn't from mastitis!