The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pygmy FF that was supposed to be due on February 13th (day 150) she still has not given birth and shows no signs of eminent birth at the moment. She will be one year old on the 28th of this month. But, she is very small for her age. So, I called my vet today to get a price list and here is what they are:

$85 for an x-ray
$150 to induce labor
$400 for a c-section

My question to you guys is, what should I do? Does she look close enough that I dont have to spend the money for a vet visit? Should I quit worrying so much and let nature take its course? Or, should I spend the money to have a vet do something?

Her ligaments are tight but really deep down. Her udder is small and doesnt look like they normally do when they are close to kidding. She had discharge about 1 months ago but very little and she is pretty poofy back there.
Here are some pics, they ar ethe best I could get:

Please remember that this is her first kidding!

Thank you all for your opinions!
CJ

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hmm, this is a tough one. Look at her hip width, could she fit a baby through there?? That would be my main question. If she can I would probably induce labor. C-sections can be really rough on them. Good luck, and I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in here soon...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking at these pics, I noticed that it looked like she actually had discharge! So I ran back down to the barn to see and its actually dried, old discharge. Sorry for the illusion.

CJ

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Good luck, I would only induce if she was showing signs of labor and I would only opt for a c-section if she was in full labor and not progressing and I couldn't pull the kid myself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am 99% sure of her due date. We did have 2 girls go into heat at the same time and there is a very slim chance that I may have entered that date into the wrong does spreadsheet. Make sense? But that is a very very slim chance.

CJ

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
if she isn't in distress I wouldn't induce labor or pay for the c-section as you may end up with a dead doe and kids who are not fully formed.

If you are really worried, get the x -ray done to see how far along the kids are and if they are positioned right for delivery. Then you will know if a c-section might be necessary.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ultrasound was 75 but the vet said it would be better to do an xray because he would be able to tell if the pelvis was to small to pass the babys. He said the ultrasound would just tell me if the babies were there and alive.

This morning, it seemed like her ligaments were softer (gosh I hope im not just hopeful) I had to go to school today and my parents had to work so hopefully she will either be fine on her own (if her ligaments disappeare and she goes into labor) or wait till I get home.

CJ

PS I still want to get somemore opinions from different people.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you guys say anything about how her pictures look? does she look ready? what about her hips?

CJ

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have had a Nigerian doeling that I purchased turn out to be bred and she kidded with my help at 10 mo. She was only 30 lbs when she kidded and tiny. She went into labor just like everyone else and pushed with no progress so I checked and kid was head first no legs so I had to go in and find a leg which was hard as she was small but I finally did it with the tips of my fingers and the kid came out fine weighing 5lbs.

If this doe were here I would let nature take it's course as she doesn't look no where near ready to me. I would let her go in labor and if after 30 min of pushing and I mean really pushing I would go in and check things out and would help her out if needed. I would never schedule a c-section just incase. I personally wouldn't stress any of my does with x-rays or ultrasounds. Either she can have them or she can't and you will have time to get her to a vet for a c-section to save her life. You might not be able to save kids in a emergency section but the doe would have a chance. JMO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Muddy Creek Farm said:
Her tail looks normal to me.... CJ, you have some newborn kids, just hold them up by her and see if you think they could fit or not.
You are a SMART COOKIE!!! I didnt even think of that! I will do that as soo as I get home. Unfortunately, because I am at school, they block the pictures so I cant really tell you if her tail usually sticks out until I can look at the pictures again. There is another picture of her on the Goat Does page on my website, maybe that will give you guys a better reference?

http://www.FinePygmyPals.com
CJ

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, her tail is always sticking out like that, though its a bit more "twisted" to the side than usual in those pictures.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Each goat's tails have different personalities! I have some goats who hold them lower, some who hold them high and others who's tails go flat onto their back (and Robin has a broken tail which looks really funny)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts