Need opinions on this......

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had this comment posted to my website on the article I wrote about dehorning:

"This type of dehorning only has to happen when you don't dehorn when they are babies. That process doesn't make them bleed at all. Trust me I have 11 goats of my own and I know my goat facts! I feel this is a negative thing on goat owners!!!!"

I feel very offended at that because 1) I'm not an idiot and 2) We do disbud when they are babies and it clearly states in the beginning of the article that it was to show why dehorning is so much worse than disbudding. and 3) Gus was the only goat(besides Caesar, but we didn't disbud him, the breeder did) that had scurs that bad that we had to actually dehorn him.

So shoudl I delete the comment or leave a comment of my own defending myself? The writer of the comment won't see it but everybody else will.

Thanks for your opinions

PS, link to the article is here, please note it is extremely graphic: http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/dehorning.htm

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would definately delete it if it bothers you - or you can post a reply under it also -

If it was me, I would delete it and send them an email if you have a way to get ahold of the email address

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Just delet the post the people who wrote it are selective readers. I gathered form the article that is wasn't about anything other than why you should DISBUD correctly.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would delete that comment posted... :wink:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thats exactly what I am saying :)

I'll just delete the comment then.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. empera

empera Guest

Mar 20, 2009
    I defended you on your website all while being respectful :)

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thank you for the nice comments Empera and LW :) And thank you for defending me Empera :) I'll leave that comment up, since Empera contradicted him :)

9. empera

empera Guest

Mar 20, 2009
    No problem :wink: Just like Thanatos said, that person was a selective reader and obviously wasn't paying attention to anything but what they saw as negative.

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    That was interesting.
    Now I bet I'm the only one who sat there read and looked at the photos while eating Cheetos. LOL.

I need to Milo dehorned. His disbudding didn't take and I'd really like to get those horns/scurs removed since he's a breeding buck and they are dangerous enough with out horns, let alone with horns.

11. empera

empera Guest

Mar 20, 2009
    It sure was interesting. I have an odd thirst for knowledge and to learn from as many things as possible. :roll: But I was eating some cheesy cheesy goldfish which are close enough to Cheetos, so we are in the same boat! :hi5:

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You guys crack me up :slapfloor: Actually after the procedure was done, I was starving, we did it over lunch break :lol:

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    The pics were graphic, not nauseating to me at least. And it was a VERY good showing of why it is important to do your husbandry correctly with the right follow up. Good job on gettin that out there. And I am sorry that the goat had to be the example.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Thanatos :) And Gus lost a lot of blood, but he recovered very fast :)

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes delete it. This is YOUR website and as such you do not need to put up with anything that offends you. Your site should be something your proud of and comfortable with and this will only continue to upset you. So I would delete it.

16. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    What did his head look like about 3 weeks later?

Milo got hung up in the fence yesterday had to cut him out so I need to get him done but between fly season coming and linear appraisal I just dont know when I should have him done. :shrug:

17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    you won't be able to get him done during fly season, fcnubian - I think your best bet is to wait until the Autumn.

LW

18. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    If I wait till fall, he'll more then likely be dead. He's an idiot. But most goats are when it comes to getting their heads stuck in fences. :GAAH:

We'll be going to goat shows so if he got hung up in the fence friday night, I wouldn't find him until Saturday/Sunday night whenever we get home.

19. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    you can duck tape a piece of pvc across his horns and that will help prevent him getting caught. I mean put the pvc across tip to tip and tape it good.