Need prayers for a lamb. UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Crissa, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    My boss found this little ewe lamb with no momma out with all of her ewes, no idea whose baby it was she was just there and the LGD was being her "momma" so my boss gave her to her neighbors who raise horses. Well, their daughter raised this lamb herself, very attached. So they bought another ewe lamb from my boss as a companion. They let them run with the horses. (not something I would have recommended) Now this little ewe has been severely injured by one of the horses, broke her pelvis. This little girl is heartbroken. They're trying to see if the ewe can heal this but I just don't know. So please pray for her and the lamb. :pray:

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Re: Need prayers for a lamb.

Oh poor little lamb!

:grouphug:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

:pray: I hope she pulls through. That is a terribly painful injury.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am sorry... that the lamb was hurt so bad.... :tears:
    Has she been taken to the vet...to get a xray of it? to see what was going on for sure?
    I will pray for her... :pray:

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Oh of course, they are in my prayers.

I have rehabilitated a LOT of lambs and sheep over the years. How old is the injured ewe? Can she move around at all? This may be treatable with a LOT of TLC. If she can stand and hobble round, that is a really good prognosis and what they should do is build a pen for her so that she does not need to walk very far, give her lots of good food and hay, and water all easily accessible. Also give her some supportive therapy, such as probiotics, electrolytes/fluid therapy if needed, lots of cuddles, and I myself in a situation like this would probably give a long lasting antibiotic. If their vet will give them some pain medication, that would really help. Hungerford's also says that aspirin can be given to sheep - 100 mg/kg orally twice a day. If the ewe lamb cannot stand, it is going to be a lot harder to pull her through this. They will need to turn her every 24 hrs to avoid pressure sores - this is gonna hurt her - and they obviously need to bring food and water to her. If they can make a sling type of thing it is good to let her hang in that for a little while each day. They will have to make sure that she sits up on her sternum - not flat on her side - and they can use bales of hay to keep her in the right position. A rug on her would not hurt. And if she is down she definitely needs an antibiotic to guard against pneumonia, because downers are soooo susceptible to pneumonia.

How old is the lamb?

Hope she is doing okay :pray:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh gosh, that is really to bad. I will be thinking of them and sending prayers.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks everyone. I think the lamb is about 8 months or so, maybe a little older. She's the most beautiful Katahdin/dorper ewe. I think they just order a sling to put her in in one of the horse stalls so that she can "stand" on her own. I won't know any more for a while though.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Oh I sure hope that the little ewe makes it....

I have never done a lamb - or rumenent - but I know with cats and dogs, we said to put them in a VERY confined small area to help with the healing.

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Well I sure do hope she can recover from this injury. It has to be very painful. I will be praying for a fast recovery. :pray:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I am so sorry to hear that. I sure hope she can make it. She has to weight the pain the Ewe might be in.

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Well some good news! She's doing pretty good apparently and the girl is so happy! Now this ewe will never be bred like they were going to try but they will breed her companion. Right now they still have the lamb in a horse stall by herself, but she's improving! :leap:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So nice to hear an update!

You know, give her a good long time to heal they should be able to breed her just fine, make sure they use a younger/smaller ram but also one that is very experienced and she should be ok.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for the update.....I am glad to hear the lamb is improving...makes my day........ :) :thumbup:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is wonderful news. :leap: