The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just today, we received two Nigerian does from someone in town. Now these two girls...just wow. I can just tell they have a few problems.

Firstly, I am 90% sure at least one of them is pregnant. One has an udder, and the other is starting to get an udder(it's lopsided, one side is filling while the other is nearly flat, could this be mastisis?). They are also huge, but it looks like hay belly so I can't be sure. I asked the woman who gave them to us and she said "No! They all have udders, see even I have 'em!" of coarse I shut my mouth and let it go. I told my mom later and she said, "You don't know, some goats may just have udders". :roll: I said that I think I've been in goats long enough to know they don't just sprout them spontaneously.

Second, they look to be very copper deficient. They have fishtail, rough coat, and are even discolored.

Thirdly, I think they have CL. One doe has two oval lumps on her cheeks, prime CL locations. From what I felt when I caught her, they are fairly squishy. I have two of my does coming in soon from a friend, and a baby coming in from a breeder, so I do not want to let them near each other because of this.

Fourthly, they are terribly skittish. I think they will get over this quickly though with the help of raisins. I had them eating out of my hand at one point! It might take a few days though.

Now, normally I would have them tested and medicated. But, of course, my parents have other ideas. They don't want any money spent on these goats. At all. Meaning I can't send any blood in, or get anything to copper bolus them. They said, "They said that if we didn't want them we can give them back, so if you plan on spending money on them, or if something is wrong with them, they're gone". I do not want to get rid of these girls. The woman who had them is very...off, and I know she would just say poo it. Especially with something like CL. I want to be able to treat and love these animals, but it kills me because my parents are the way they are. I can't even tell them what I think is wrong! I am close to just saying give them back because I won't have them near my other does because of those abscesses.

Help, please! I don't know what to do. Should I just tell my parents to get rid of them to make sure my goats don't get sick? They both have already been exposed to CL at another farm, but haven't had any lumps so I'm crossing my fingers that they don't have it. I want to keep these does, but if it means my does getting sick, I will let them go.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Were they in with intact bucks? No offence, but it does not sound like the breeder knew what she was talking about. The lopsided udder could very well be mastitis, or it could be a precocious udder. Sounds like it's time for some kelp, good minerals. Separate those does immediately. The lumps could be mastitis, salivary cyst, or it could be from a blister in there. Pics?

Please tell your parents, if you do not separate and test these goats, they can make your entire herd sick and you could have massive losses. THAT would be expensive, in more than one way.

If you can, I would just bring them back. Not worth the risk to your herd at all, IMO. :hug:

·
1,524 Posts
I refuse to have anyting to do with CL. Way too risky. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I know you want to make things better for these 2 girls, but you need to think about your original herd.

Goats can get an udder without being pregnant and pretty spontaneously. (Is that even a word?)

Wow, that woman soulds like a real piece of work!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't get pics, parents would be furious if they knew I posted this, and I don't have a phone :/ We currently don't have any other goats on the property, and they are in the dog backyard(where my does will not be) so there isn't much risk of exposure.
She wasn't a breeder btw, she just transported them...but the guy who owned them was in the car, and didn't say much. They got them from a relative who couldn't keep them. And they are developing udders...how can does just develop udders? Any idea of what would cause it?
At this point, after discussing it with my parents, we will either get rid of them, or I will have to separate them permanently. I would really like to avoid getting rid of them...but at this point it seems the best option. I really hate to give them to someone who won't give them the care they need, but I can't do much for them either so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's hard to get rid of them though I'm already a bit attached...Nigerian faces are too adorable and they are already warming up to me!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great...now one of the does is drinking her own pee. She has been peeing alot, and will turn around and start lapping it up! She has a full bucket of fresh water, so I don't know what's going on. I just know that if we don't get rid of these does soon, I will get attached.

I also didn't realize just how tiny nigerians are! They are just...miniature!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh! After googling it, I gave them some tortilla chips, and boy they went nuts! They were jumping up, following me, bleating, they just loved it! Their eyes get wide whenever they hear the bag lol. Is there any way to give them copper without ordering the bolus? We are getting goat feed with copper in it soon, will that do?

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
wow...rock and hard place for sure...sweetie if mom and dad wont spend anything on them then the care they need will still be unmet...can you call around to rescues, other goat folks..somewhere they can go or can offer you help at least...CL is not something you want on your property...it can be dealt with but its a lot of work and time..if they have more than one cyst or have it internally then they will continue to be unthrifty...the longer you keep them the more attached you will be..it just might be more than you can offer them...Ugh Im sorry..I hate to be negative..I truly do..You sound so willing to do what you can...and if you choose to keep them..we will do all we can to help you help them...if you choose this ....better roll up your sleeves..pull up your chin...and sit down and really talk with mom and dad about the needs of the goats...what it will cost and where to buy it...offer to work it off or what ever you can to get it done...the only other option would be to return them..as sad and heart breaking as that would be..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow :( I really hope you all don't hate me for this....but...there are no lumps o.o :cool: No lumps!! The doe's hair grows up to her cheek in such a way that it looks exactly like an abscess!! And when I grabbed hold of her to feel it(with her fighting all the way), I guess I just skimmed over the top and it almost felt solid. But just now, when I gave them a few more chips, I started scratching at her face a little(from under, I learned that goats don't like when you reach from the top because they can't see) and she let me love on her! I was scratching and petting all over her front before I thought to check. I went with and against the hair, nothing there! I was just so...ugh just dang relieved! I hope ya'll don't hold it against me for causing this err..."drama" but I honestly thought they were there :/

Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with one's udder, if the other's pregnant, and figure out a way to give them copper without getting the actual supplement.

On a lighter note, we are definitely keeping them now unless I can conjure up another deadly disease to freak everyone out with!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, how do you tell the difference between a Pygmy and a Nigerian? I thought for her they were ND until I looked up a picture of a chocolate Pygmy, and was astonished about the fact that it looked exactly like them! Then again, I looked up a chocolate ND pic, and they look like them too! I'm thinking that they are mixes...they are fairly fine boned, but have short necks and legs(this may be due to the fact that they are the size of a house!). I will get pics when I can to help out.

Thank you all for your support and guidance! It really helped me out!

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Ahhhh! After googling it, I gave them some tortilla chips, and boy they went nuts! They were jumping up, following me, bleating, they just loved it! Their eyes get wide whenever they hear the bag lol. Is there any way to give them copper without ordering the bolus? We are getting goat feed with copper in it soon, will that do?
Put a couple handfuls of pre 1982 pennies in their water bucket. Add a splash of vinegar to leach the copper.

Foods high in copper. Peanuts, Peanut butter, Cashews, Sunflower seeds roasted and salted, Sea kelp, Barley, dried Apricot, dried Peach, Banana chips, Acorns.

Soda prevents copper from absorbing so no free choice soda. They need good loose minerals as well. Natural salt rock is good as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow I didn't know all those foods had copper! Thanks so much goathiker, this is what I needed! What kind of vinegar? I have red wine...I don't know if we threw out our white/apple cider vinegar during the move.I'll try out the peanut butter and other nuts tomorrow...other than those I really don't have any dried fruit or anything. I may have to look for acorns on our property though.
I will get minerals as soon as possible. My grandma has a mineral rock in with my two does right now, so I can steal that as soon as I pick them up. I'm going to have to dig up what's left in my bank account though for the loose minerals as well.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Doesn't matter what kind of vinegar, it's just a mild acid. Lemon juice or Kool-Aid would work as well. Are you in Oregon Now?

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
goakhiker you never stop amazingme on your knowlegde....pre 1982 pennies...??? lol..wow...Im writing that down...:D

Kaneel..Im glad your in the fight for these two...you seem willing and able...no CL sure makes it easier....if they do pop up with Cl...we can help you get through that too....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:grouphug: Thank you so much guys, don't know what I would do without you. Yup, I'm in OR now goathiker! And I agree Cathy...she seems to have such a plethora of knowledge! I'm glad she chooses to shake some off at us every once in a awhile ;)

I do still want to have all 4 of my current goats tested though...where has the cheapest? I want to get them tested for as much as possible....including pregnancy lol. My other two does have a chance of being pregnant as well, so if all of them turn up to be, I have no idea what we are going to do lol!! They are all mixed breeds, so I don't think there is any money to be made. So I think we can just give a few away to people in town :)

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
Biotrackingis the best place for testing and are reasonable on prices...CAE only cost $4 Ihtink pregnancy is $5?? you can go to their web sight for full information...: )

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One of the does warmed up to me! She lets me walk right up to her and pet her all over most of the time now :)
I managed to get a good feel of her stomach(I'm cautious about going to far though, so I'll hold off on feeling her udder), and it is tight(a supposed sign of pregnancy!). On both goats, one side is larger than the other(left) I'm not sure if it has been changing, I haven't been paying attention, but I will now. I looked up the symptoms of bloat just in case, and they have no other symptoms(they are eating, drinking, burping fine) so I think we're good there.
And no, we don't know if they were in with bucks. The woman who gave her to us said that there was no way they could be pregnant, but I honestly don't think she would have told us anyways if she knew they were. They belonged to a relative of a friend of hers, so she really didn't know anything.
About one doe's udder...it's still lopsided. Even though I can catch her now I don't want to push her and freak her out by touching it. I did that with my first doe and she hates being touched anywhere below her shoulder now. I tried finding pics similar to what it looks like, but I guess only the real thing would help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts