Need some 1 wk old calf advice.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by bleatinghearts, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    So I brought home a 3 day old Holstein calf on Monday. He’s 8 days old and the sweetest guy ever! He’s getting a full bottle two times a day and picked up drinking out of a bucket super fast, although I’ve decided to continue feeding with the bottle because I think/heard that it would be better for him. Anyway, I’ve heard/read soooo many different stories on introducing water. When, how much at a time, etc. He found the goats water and started going after it big time so I ran in there and stopped him not knowing if he could get hurt by drinking too much. He has a huge appetite and I’m afraid to let him have too much. Can anyone share with me how and when they introduced water?

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hopefully he got his colostrum.....

You can have clean water access for the calf anytime.... if he needs it.... he can go to it... let him drink what he wants...as it helps keep him hydrated ...it is important with calves.... if it doesn't effect his feedings habits...he should be.... A....OK :wink:

Cute calf there.... :thumb:

3. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    water is fine, let him go for it !!! :)

I know of a newborn calf that lived for a whole week on water because it's mother died, and the owners were not there, he grew in to a big bullock but was always a little dumb, (obviously colostrum lack) I know because they gave him to me :)

4. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    The dairy that I got this little feller from doesn't let them go untill the third day so they can get colostrom. I got to see the mom and all the other lovely ladies too. I only with I could have another one! Thanks guys!

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    AW! He's cute! :)
    did you go to Delta to get him?

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is really good..... some of our dairy farmers around here in California... are not nice...if it is a bull calf...they rip it from the mom... and not even get it colostrum....sale it to someone and lie... that it got colostrum.....when it in actuality did not... you are very lucky.... :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh pam thats terrible!

I gotta say, I've been to both CA and WI, Wisconsin cows are the real happy cows! lol

8. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Also, in my oppinion, he probably could us more than two bottles a day. That's the standard feeding dairies use to cut costs and then wean as soon as possible. It's funny to me that the Holstien calves are subject to the same feedings of the Jersey calves only they are 20+ lbs. heavier. Would he survive? Of course, but he is probably hungry and thirsty still. My calves get 3 times a day feedings until they are at least 2 months-usually longer, and then I switch to a bottle and a half twice a day until I start weaning. Makes for much happier healthy calves. He's such a cutie!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ...California suppose to have "Happy Cows".....but... these breeders rather have the milk/colostrum for the heifers...or human consumption... than anything else...I have also seen.... the bull calves ...tied on a short lead on a hay bale ...and out in the nasty weather.... it is disgusting and sad.......

There are some dairies ...that do let the bull calves have colostrum.... I like those farms.....and we know of one big Dairy Farmer... that in fact ..have "Happy Cows"....they have installed water beds for them.....now that is spoiled.... :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    water beds? how does that work?

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe.... here is... a link to a dairy far away...but you can get ..the idea.... :wink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU8_A_EIwAs&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU8_A_EI ... re=channel[/ame]

12. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Ya, from Delta. Had to get up and feed at like 4 in the morning to be able to get there and back and to work by 11 but it was totally worth it. :love:

My husband and I work mon-fri and live too far out to come home and feed at lunch. Do you think it would hurt him to have more than one full bottle at a time?

Hubby and I spent 5 hours re-insulating Rex's house today. It is oh so nice and comfee, but Pam... if he thinks he's getting a waterbed... :p

13. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I think so, he might not take much more than a bottle for a little while though. I would fix two and see what he'll take. :)

14. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I raise bottle calves year round, or so it feels like it, lol. I feed one full bottle in the AM and one in the PM. Water, feed and hay from the get go. If I may ask..what are your intentions for your new baby (just curious) Here's an excellent webpage:

http://feedingbabycalves.com/default.aspx

15. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I cant wait to look at that site after I go feed! My intentions are to raise him (play with him, brush him, love him! ;) ) untill about 18 months. Then he will move on to my freezer.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have raised 2 bottle calves now - and I was told to only give a bottle twice a day - even to my big 125# at birth calf (Angus) because they will overeat and get scours, dehydrate, and well ... not good things :) I always have hay and water available from the start and then I introduce Stretena calf grain (Purina product i believe) at night at about 2 weeks of age and then work them up to full rations. I have had wonderful success with this feeding regiment and will continue it when i do calves again :)

17. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    There are so many oppinions on raising calves. I raise Jersey and Holstiens for show, my granddaddy is dairy farmer. I was part of a dairy conference 2 years in a row now at the national dairy expo in Madison, WI. Twice now I've elected my focus to be on calf management and rearing. Research is consistantly showing that calves on "Accelerated feedings" are healthier and more productive animals later on. The US has fallen behind in this area and has one of the highest calf mortality rates.

The gallon a day works, it is enough, and heaven knows thousands of calves have been reared this way and done well. The history behind this standard though is that limiting milk intake encourages the intake of the cheaper solid foods. Get the babies good and hungry and they HAVE to eat. Is this our focus when raising our calves? Not usually as hobby farmers.

On most dairy farms- it's hard to see the long term effects of feeding more and more often becuase it means more money up front- which sadly- most dairy farms just don't have. But it IS better for the calves. For someone just hand rearing a calf that wants to keep him fat and happy? It's feasable. I've raised my show string on this method for 3 years with AMAZING results. I also visted several larger farms that have switched- also just a world of difference. The dairy standard just isn't fair to enforce on all calves. For a calf that is going in the freezer that should gain weight quickly, I think this is also ideal.

This is a great article based more on the dairy side of things but I think you'll see the growth chart speaks for it's self. http://www.extension.org/pages/Feeding_ ... Production

I feed whole milk- not replacer so my milk solids are not increased as sugested, but my calves get double that standard. My calves rarely scour...much less than the calves at the dairy. The biggest cause for scours are enviromental stressors and poor milk replacer quality. I wish I could find those New Zealand studies they showed at the conference... I'll do some digging. I like knowing WHY we do the things we do, and for me conventional calf rearing just doesnt make sense. That's my soap box spill for now.

Just my 2 cents and something to think on. I know that's much more than you probably ever wanted to think about with your new little guy! lol Good luck :)

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow thanks Anna!
    your a wealth of information. :)

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Very interesting - off to read the article. Thank you!! This is the first time that we had calves and so I am totally new to all of it ;-)

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...wow... that is good to know....thank you.... :hi5: