Need some advice Doe is really weird.................UPDATE

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Rogersfarm, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We have a doe due march 10th(150 days). I came home today and she didnt eat anything and is acting weird just standing looking into space and kinda walks crooked and just looks like there is something wrong .She keeps tilting her head back and her eyes are somewhat closed she totally acts like she is drunk. I am thinking pregnancy toxemia but have never dealt with this so I have no idea for the symptoms? She doesnt have any discharge her udder is full and her sides are very sunken in like she could kid soon but I am very concerned.Any ideas????

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Need some advice Doe is really weird.................

If you have it, give her some B-Complex, a large dose of 8 cc injected SubQ won't hurt her and if she improves with this then I would suspect possible polio. I'm not sure of the symptoms of Toxemia but the head tilt and staggerring in a non pregnant goat would leasd me to think polio

3. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

She is pregnant though. So Is there something to give her for polio and do they get rid of it?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The thiamin in Bcomplex is what she needs if it is polio...Fortified B complex has a higher concentration of thiamin and doesn't take as much to inject...if you don't have the injectible, you can give her 4-6 B-1 people tablets that have been crushed and dissolved in 4cc of warm water...suck it up in a syringe and drench her,,, injection will get to her bloodstream faster but giving it orally is better than none at all. If it is polio and caught early enough, it is curable.

Is March 10th 150 days? Is she a big breed doe? With a full udder and sunken look to her hip area, she could be in labor...if so, the kids are at a gestational age that they would survive

5. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

Yep march 10th is 150 days and she is pretty good size doe she is a pygmy/nigerian mix but she is on the larger size.This will be her 2 kidding with us and I dont think she has had anymore when we got her she was pretty young and didnt have any signs of having a previous kid like udders or anything like that.We do have B complex injectible and we are going to give that asap and maybe some molasses/karo water.Thanks for your advice:)

6. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

Oh yeah if I give her this stuff will it be ok if there is nothing wrong with her other than she is just being a weirdo?LOL

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Being that she is a mini...she's on day 142 now...I've had a doe deliver on 143 with triplets and all was well. Give her 6cc of the B Complex, if she shows improvement within an hour , watch for the symptoms to return in a few hours, if they do then you'll need to keep giving the B Comp every 4-6 hours over the next 24 hours. My guess is though that she may be in early labor. The Bcomplex won't hurt her if thats the case, be warned though that when she pee's it will be very yellow to orange, no worries its normal after giving B vitamins.

Do you feed an alfalfa hay or pellets? If not, she may even benefit from some calcium.

8. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

Yes we give alfalfa hay and pellets.We have her in her own pen and I will get right to nursing her back she looked a little better just now when I checked on her she wasnt quiet as "drunken".

9. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas

Update.............. on doe she is still acting really weird but she soes have discharge so I am thinking she is in labor.I dont see any contractions yet but I am keeping an eye on her!