Need some advice on a buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dragonfly farms, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    So, last week i was letting my buck, Buster out of his pen and he attacked me. He gave me a huge bruise under my knee and cut up the back of my thigh. Since then I have been walking on glass when near him. Then this weekend he was just a huge pain, fighting with other goats, trying to slip his halter rope, pushing other goats into the electric fence. We were so close to killing him, but i just feel bad. He was severely abused when we got him. He was kept in a 4x4 stall alone, in a dark corner of the barn with minimal hay and water. I think I understand why after this past week. His history makes me feel bad and not know what to do. I dont want to give up on him since when he wants lovin' he is a big teddy bear.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to discourage him from acting like such a butt head. Any advice at this point is better than where my hubby and I are right now.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    What breed are we talking about? Is he your "stud"? I have Cashmeres and Nigerians. I have two Cashmere bucks, Bambino is almost 3 yo, Casanova is just a year. Bambino is in "rut" (well they both are, but Casanova defers to the older "bigger" buck, and he's my "bottle baby" so he's a sweet heart), he's (B) usually kind of stand-offish, but now he thinks he wants to "challenge" anyone that comes through the gate. So, when I go in there, I never take my eyes off him. I don't have to take any "protection" with me, but I did pic up a stick the other day! His horns are HUGE! I dont' think he'd try to hurt me, but with a BIG buck, in rut, you just can't be too careful (and I think it's normal for them to be a little "brain dead", when they are in rut).

Now, even though I like the buck, and he throws beautiful babies, if he attacked me without provocation, he'd be gone faster then you can imagine. I would never sacrifice my safety, or the safety of those that come here (kids, grandkids, Hubby), for a goat.

3. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    If he comes after you, dump water on him. Carry a little bucket or a squirt bottle.
    If he is in "rut", the behavior will probably subside when the does stop flagging.
    If you want to keep him and he continues to be difficult, you'll have to put him in a pen or get rid of him.

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    He is a pygmy buck, about 50 pounds. He is my current stud. I am pretty sure he is in rut since he is squaking after the chickens. I think that one thing that really provoked him was that it was my time of the month. Guess maybe the boys need to be the hubbys chore when that happens.

I like the squirt bottle idea, i used to use the hose, but ill be honest i cant carry a hose around with me.

as of this past weekend my boys are officially 100% seperated from the girls, they cant even see them, so i am hoping once they adjust to the change he will calm down a little bit.

His other problem is that is just too darn smart for his own good. He open gates, goes over fences, goes under wall, you name it, he is a problem solver.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would definately be taking something with you when you go in there. A squirt bottle is great, but honestly I would also take a small horse whip. That is how I got my girls to stay away from the gate when i am bringing food in for them.

A buck in rutt - especially with horns - can be very dangerous. I think you did the right thing by getting them far away from the girls - but never turn your back on one! If they don't get you in the butt - they will try to mount you!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do believe it is because he is in rut. YES he would be in rut this time of year. I know some people that have bucks that would take you down and really hurt you during breeding season. I personally would never have a buck like that. i have to be really careful because all mine have horns. I did have one like that. As you can see I said I DID have one. Until I was able to get rid of him, I had to carry a pitch fork with me. My boys now I can walk right up to them when they are with a doe and they are sweet as ever.
    Being he was abused I do think you will always have trouble with him. Does he have horns?

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine -boer- used to butt me last year, he was terrible, he would lower his head and ram and stab. but i asked you guys (first post by me i think) how to stop him.

They told me to sit on him, honestly, it worked. it took a bit to get him on the ground, but i would take his legs out from under him and hold him down until he sighed. i dont know about sitting on him during rutt though, you'd stink for days.

This year, no butting!! but now when i go in there he blubbers, and cries, which im not as worried about. i laugh usually actually.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just went down to the cafeteria to get something to eat, and was thinking about this boy. I remember when Joe went into his first rutt - he went from sweetheart, could do anything with him, to a royal jerk - flailing all over, charged me, all kinds of garbage - and this is a 30-40 pound nigerian with scurs.

I flipped his bull onto his side, grabbed the front and back legs that were closest to the ground and pinned his butt. It took about 8 minutes for him to calm down. I let him up, he did it again and he got flipped again. After the 3rd or 4th time (real quick learner :ROFL: ) he never did it again. Now he walks up to me this year for his leash to go out to see the girls.

9. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    So basically what I am reading is that this problem can be delt with. We just need to be persistant with him and not be shy to takle him. (That was what happened this weekend and then he kind of left us alone) So i guess that was the correct action to take since no one was hurt in the process.

I appreciate it since i dont want to give up on him. He has come such a long way since we got him a year ago that giving on him depresses me. But there is hope in the tough love method. After what happened last week, there is no problem with tough love around our farm!

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    We do the same with our horses - they do not get away with nothing. I caught my hubby chasing the colt one day around the pen because he threatened to kick hubby and so he chased him smacking his a$$ till he stopped! So he never did it again!

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sometimes they can be dealt with. Like others have said sometimes a squirt bottle works. if her persists put some vinigar in the bottle and aim for his eyes. It will burn a little but wont do any damage. usually that works. I have only ever had one buck turn totally bad on me. he was two when i got him. Probably one of the nicest bucks i have ever ownedtruman got to be three hundred lbs of solid meaness. I eventually had to put him down, after he not only knocked me to the ground but my dad as well. he was destroying gates and fencees including electric. he just got to be a terror. Of course your buck is much smaller but bucks during rut can be nasty creatures that you should never turn your back on.
    beth

12. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    If a buck is in rut and charges me in the heat of the moment, I tend to let that go, sometimes the sweetest bucks do forget what they are doing in that moment. With those, I wait until the next feeding to further address the problem.
    If they do it when they are not in rut or it becomes a continued problem while in rut is when the squirt bottle or bucket of water is handy to try.
    I have tackled and sat on mean 'ole bucks and some of them think that this is a challange and will continue to butt, but harder the next time. Just be careful with that.
    You can also take the buck and tie him to a fence as soon as he goes to get you and watch from a short distance until he calms down, then release him.
    I think by separating him far away from your does was a smart idea. If it was just a rut issue, he should be fine now.

13. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have had 2 bucks in my goat life time that have been dangerous to be around even when they were not in rut. Didn't matter if they were bottle fed or not. They had been handled and shown but could not turn your back on them or they would nail you. Did have them put down as they could not be trusted. Have had many bucks that are a dream to handle even in rut. One bloodline had always heard they were hard to handle and untrustworthy??? Personally would not keep a buck that was dangerous.
    Sue

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I guess that is the advantage of having small goats. I do not know if I could get my 275# Plus buck down like that much less hold him down. :slapfloor:

15. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Bucks are dangerous, period. As kelebek said, take a small horsewhip in with you and if you don't have that, make a switch out of vine or flexible stick. I was eight when I went into a goat pen and a Saanen buck beat me into the ground. This year I was charged by a 200 pd Nubian buck who is normally a sweet heart. Bucks in runt are lethel . . . bucks are dangerous period. i never go into a buck pen without a weapon . . . never. Our neighbor lady was almost killed by the Nubian buck mentioned above. . . a normally sweet guy! He was even bottlefed . . . ~talitha

16. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I agree with the sitting on him. When I raised Boers I made the BIG mistake of purchasing a Buck that had been bottle raised and was NEVER taught any manners (HUGE mistake!). He would walk up beside me and jerk his head toward my thigh and pen it with his horns, it didn't matter whether he was in rut or not. He did that twice, and then I got Hubby out there with me (since the Buck weighed about 350... also he would only do this to women, but wouldn't bother my Hubby) when he went to do it to me again Hubby helped me flip him and once we got him on the ground I sat on his side until he calmed down. Then when I got up he slowly got up and left me alone. In his case though (since he had been doing this to people all his life), he started the same thing right back again in a couple of weeks... tried the tossing and it didn't work that time, so he had to go. My thigh was bruised for a month!

But since your guy is only doing this during rut, I would definitely give the throwing a try. If you are the only one he is doing it to then just be sure that you are the one to sit on him. He has to think that you are dominant or it won't work.

Let us know how it goes!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some bucks do act like true wild "animals" when in rut.........or even not in rut....About 7 years ago....One of our young boer bucks was pushing 300 lbs ........every time I went into the pen he would charge and chase me.......boy did I climb out of the pen quickly.........that is a terrifying feeling ... :worried: ...I couldn't get in the pen to clean out the water trough or anything else for that matter.................But my husband could....go figure :shrug: .......................He would chase the does ...........on the 2nd cycle of 21 days...........he would ask the doe........ and if she said "NO"..........he would literally fling the doe in the air........... . :veryangry: ...........I said......"OK that took the cake , :GAAH: I had enough and told my husband.......he is either going in the freezer or he will be sold as a commercial billy"............
    We called up a guy and told him ..............what the buck was doing..............he said ......OK I will be right over...and he bought him cheap......the scarey part was...... the buck was young and not totally grown yet.............I wasn't going to risk me or anyone else getting hurt .....let alone ....my does that are pregnant and he might kill my doe or the kids inside...............I tried the tricks mentioned ...but nothing worked for me.........

Not all are mean...........that was once so far.........since we started in boers.........You still need to watch them though.......you never know........?

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is not true. Not all bucks are like that at all. I have three that are almost to loving even when the girls are around. We are trying to build on to the buck barn for them and we have a really hard time because they are always under the ladder and under your feet because they just want to be rubbed and petted. Mine are more like dogs.

19. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Your right, sweetgoats . . . but I have had the the worst experience with bucks . . . I was reaching through the fence to touch my doe this breeding season and the buck pinned my hand back against the wire . . . in an awkward angle, I reached thru the fence and punched him right behind the ear . . .my wrist was swollen for 2 days.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I have to agree with sweetgoats................not all are mean......I have had only 1 mean one...... since I have started in goats..............they can be like puppy dogs.........it's just the bad luck of the draw...............with a buck.......... :shrug: