Need some advice on aggressive doe.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay Heidi was acting really aggressive today, she was biting and headbutting me and Lyric. I kept popping her on the nose but she kept getting more and more aggressive. She actually basically punched me in the face! I don't know what to do, usually she's so sweet and maybe a little overly affectionate, but never aggressive. I'm confused, what could be the problem? :tears:

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Oh man! :scratch: Um could she be in heat? :shrug: I know that can make people really witchy, Indy was like that with me the other day when she was in heat.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I don't know, I don't think Nubians generally go into heat this late. It just kinda scares me with how abrupt her temperament change happened. :sigh:

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's really weird. :? Her mom is kinda pushy with the other goats, but never acts aggressive towards me. Maybe she just had a bad day. :scratch:

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I sure hope that's all. She's never acted like that to me before. :( I think I may have some bruises on my legs from her headbutting me.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Could she be hurt and be grumpy?

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    She wasn't acting hurt, she was running around and everything, being her energetic self, just mean. I'm wondering if maybe she was jealous of the other animals or something? :shrug:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually nubians can go into heat this late in the year.

I would check her for other signs of being in heat.

Try bringing a spray bottle in with you and spray her if she acts even the littlest mean so that she knows that even if she is in heat that behavior is NOT exceptable.

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Huh, I thought I heard that January was typically the last month that Nubians went into heat. There's something new! Well, Lyric was trying to mount her could that be another sign? :scratch:
    Okay, I'll try the squirt bottle idea.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Most of your standard dairy breeds are in heat from September to January BUT Nubians can note I said can, not all nubians are this way - go into heat from August - March

Yup the mounting could be another sign.

By tomorrow she maybe back to her normal self, but I would bring the spray bottle with me if I were you anyway, it has worked for me in the past. Don't over use it, but when used properly it does give them quite a start.

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    That's nice to know! :thumb:

I hope she's back to her normal self tomorrow, she's strong! There's like a bruise the size of her head on my calf! :veryangry:

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Sounds like she might be in heat to me. If she isn't her normal self by tomorrow and the spray bottle doesn't work....I'd throw her on the ground and sit on her until she sighs(that means they have given up..or at least that is what I've read). Show her who is boss. Sounds kinda mean, but you don't want a 150lb. Nubian doing that...she'll knock you flat on your back.

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, thanks so much. I feel better now. I'll see how she is tomorrow and update you all. That's exactly why I asked on her Dover Farms, I wanted to see how to correct the behavior. So if it continue's I will be showing her who's boss, I will not let a full grown doe do that to anyone. I really appreciate the advice!

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Believe it or not, I still have kids coming in heat(and they are Saanens!!) Some can just come in heat this late :wink:

15. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    What has the weather been like? When we get a nice, springlike day after our 0 degree weather the goats go nuts, they are really wild and rambunctious. Although they know better than to butt me, ever. But there is definitely a behavior change like that. But I bet she could be in heat, too. Is she wagging her tail a lot more than usual? I agree that you should discipline her however you decide to. If she gets away with headbutting you while she's in heat, or whatever is going on now, she will get worse and think it's an acceptable behavior. That's one thing I have never let my goats even consider. What is easiest is to head them off when they look at you funny. My goats have this certian look they get if they are thinking about headbutting. That is when they get the tap or the spray bottle. Once they start butting it is usually harder to manage.

16. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hows she been doing? Did she get over it, or is she still acting aggressive?

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    She's still a little grumpy but she's not being quite so mean. :wink: So I definitely think it was just an off day or maybe it was a heat.

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay she's completely back to normal now. :? That was so strange though. And it was like she was apologizing to me when she decided when I sat down to just plop herself down in front of me and stretch out and be her oh so friendly self. :roll: Although she and Lyric were "play" fighting, I'm actually not sure if they were really playing or not. I'm trying to upload the video. It lasted much longer than the 4 minutes I recorded. Myabe half an hour or more.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the time frame is right for a heat.

My goats tend to get a little extra frisky in this weather

20. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i would have to say i think she was in heat. the norm for dairy goats heat is usually from september until january but some will come in before & some will come in later. especially with the weather we have had one day it is like summer & then two days later it is winter again. the eweather can make a big difference in them. i use the water on mine or the fly swater has worked also.