Need some advice please. =)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, now I have a bunch of grade Nubian does and one definite mixed breed goat. Should I try and NOA any of them? I don't think I should NOA the girl with the extra teat. Should I give them a seperate page on my website or just put them on the same page as the rest of the does? Or not even add them at all? I know I have one person interested in a doe kid from Paintball (aka Spots). What should I ask on kids? I know I won't be offering buck kids from any of these does.

Paintball (aka Spots)
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 5_7106.jpg

Legacy (I will try and get a better picture of her soon, this one is terrible)
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 850006.jpg

MoonLite
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 850004.jpg

Cricket
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 5_7075.jpg

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    out of those girls i think MoonLite and Legacy would be ones to NOA

Cricket has a severely steep rump from the looks of that picture.

Now are you planning on showing at any point soon? Does Orion excel in the areas these girls lack in? or do you have access to a buck who will?? If so then you could possibly correct the faults of the mothers and still have some nice kids to retain and show and therefor NOA on all of them is a good idea.

Having unregistered breeding does isnt a bad idea as long as you have a market for the kids. Just remember that even as NOA the girls kids wont go for a whole lot more so if I were you I would just provide the application for registration to save on the cost.

For unregistered does I would go $100-150 and wethers $50.00
    For NOA does I would do 150-175+

But again its what your market will hold.

I would put them on their own page if they are unregistered so there is a distinction between them.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yes Cricket does have a very steep rump and her topline isn't any good at all. Great breed character though! lol

I'm going to start showing when I get my Purebred registered girl. Should be in the Spring sometime. Orion definitely is stronger in the points that these girls lack in, at least I think so. :shrug: I'll get a new picture of him soon to help.

Luckily the market for unregistered milk goats is pretty good around here. Maybe I could just see how much interest I get in them unregistered next year and see how it goes. :scratch: And then decide for sure the year after. (as I don't plan to breed these girls again until next year)

Thanks Stacey!

4. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    i think moonlight's a keeper... get rid of cricket, the extra teat might lead to a health complication later in life... NOA moonlight and paintball. I would give cricket and legacy a separate page. I don't agree with Stacy on NOAing cricket though because of the possible heath issues.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she already said she wont be NOAing the doe with the extra teat, I wasnt saying to do so :scratch:

THe doe with the extra teat is actually her boyfriends so she wont be getting rid of her -- nor does extra teats cause health issues from anything I have experienced.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm going to have to ask since I'm new to goats. What does NOA mean?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    NOA means Native On Appearance. for standard dairy goat breeds only you can have them registered as NOA with ADGA and then you breed up from there. These goats are shown in the grade goat class as will their kids until the offspring reach the American purebred status a couple generations later. NOA is only available for does and not bucks. WHen a goat resembles a distinct breed you have another ADGA member write a note saying they have seen (or seen pictures) of said animal and that is resembles the _____ breed and should be registered as such.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    goatnoob- Stacey is correct. I already said that Cricket won't be getting NOA'd because of the teat, and I also don't see how that will affect her health, but I will be keeping an eye on her when she kids as it could make it difficult for the kids to eat. And yes Cricket does belong to my boyfriend, he actually likes that goat a lot, so she gets to stay for that reason. I just take care of her. :)

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    But NOA'd or not if you breed to a registered buck the kids will be 50% either way....so if it was up to me I'd just not worry about the NOA and just register the kids. :shrug:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe the kids would have to be NOA'd - its different then with boer goats.

Both parents have to be registered for the kids to be registered anything but NOA

At least this is my understanding when I was doing some research into it. Have you experienced it differently Bethany?

11. On my site you have Reg and percentage does and then there is Commercial does. I see nothing wrong with that.

As for kids, here I ask 50.00 less for a commercial doe then I do a registered doe. This means nothing wrong with the goat but for 50.00 more they get a registered goat. That is how we do it. I ask 150.00 to 200.00 on my bucks and 75.00 to 100.00 for wethers. I wether all my bucks if they are not something worth keeping or 100%.

As for does I as 200.00 to 250.00 for my reg does and 150.00 to 200.00 for my percentage does. I have reg bucks so all my kids are at least 50% registerable.

Remember, if you hold no value to your goats no one else will either. And in my breed the going rate is 300.00 to 1000.00 or more depending on who you are so I am on the lower side but I ask what I feel is right. Keep in mind if you have to later on come down or whatever you can. But for me it depends on the home and the goat how much the price moves. LOL

12. Oh, and remember if you are like me and go though 150.00$ worth of feed every month, month in a half you aren't even close to getting your money back. Now things will be better when five of my mouths to feed are not just eating but until then, we barely break even.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you register them as NOA, then the kids will be registered as 50% experimental goats. The next generation will be grades.
    beth

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Well this year when I registered kids out of my grade does (Not NOA'd) I just put "unknown" in the space for the dam, and then put in the sire's registration number, the kids papers came back as 50% Nubian. Sire has to be registered though.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I really need to look more at the goats in depth. But I just had to say, and I have no idea if I'm the only one who thought this, but Paintball looks a little like Marilyn Monroe in that pic with those curled ears!

*edit: I would say to NOA on Legacy. I think out of the bunch she is the most "Nubian"

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I tend to keep separate pages for everything (ie Nigerians, Lamanchas, Mini-Manchas) so if it were me, I'd list the does on my site yes, but on their own page. That way if people are interested in kids from them they can still see them on your site and know you have them, without listing them with your registered stock which could get confusing. I don't know if I'd bother with NOA with them unless you plan to show or register offspring. If you don't plan to breed to purebred bucks to increase percentage and up the bloodlines on the kids, then there's no reason to. Unless you just happen to have a better market for registered grade kids. Up to you on that one. :) Pretty does you have there too!

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Good to know :thumb: