The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old Nigerian Doeling. We bought her at 1 week and had bottle fed her. At 8 weeks we weaned her and after we returned from vacation a few days later she had diarrhea. We have given her charcoal, probiotics, and a few other things. (my husband does all the meds) and she is pooping ok now but seems to have weak legs. When you just barely brush her she just falls down and doesn't immediately get up. Its so random and she seems as though her legs are weak. Would anyone know what this could be caused from? She is eating well and has fresh water.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
I would get a temp on her
check her lower inner eye color
have a fecal done

Worms can bring her down quick...the runs she had may have been Cocci

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Melinda, you can use the FAMACHA chart to tell colour
http://buckeyevet1.homestead.com/files/QuickSiteImages/FamachaChart.jpg

worming too often can also cause parasites to be resistant to wormer. also, depending on what parasite she has would dictate which wormer to use. if she has a certain parasite that doesn't get killed by the wormer you have, then it won't do her any good to keep using the same wormer.

please do get a temperature and send a fecal to the vet to check for worms and cocci.

·
Super Moderator
59,759 Posts
You need to get a fecal done to see if/what parasites she has. If you are treating her with the wrong dewormer, it won't matter how many times you have wormed her. There is no dewormer that takes care of all parasites so that is why the importance of the fecal and make sure they include coccidia.

The other thing that is critical is the dosage. We need to know exactly what you have treated her with and how much along with how much she weighs. If you underdose a dewormer, then you are not going to kill the parasites and just make them resistant to that dewormer.

What kind of feed and hay is she getting. Does she have a good loose goat mineral out all the time? Is your area copper and/or selenium deficient?

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
also you need to ask for the cocci check because some vets only do a regualr check and cocci testing take a bit longer...I suspect this is what you might be dealing with
Any vet can do a fecal...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts