need some advise

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Mar 21, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I have a boer nanny that has become very anemic. She has twins that are 5 weeks old and I have pulled them off of her so she can put all her energy into recovering. She is touch and go on surviving, but I've done all I can. She's been wormed before she kidded and again after because worms were so bad last year. We don't have enough cold weather to kill them off, but I thought I'd taken precautions to avoid this again, but anyway, what I need advise about is the kids. They nibble feed some and browse, but I feel sure they need to be on a bottle for another month at least, but I'm having alot of trouble getting them to take to the bottle. I've also set it out in a bowl for them but no takers although they do drink water. Anyone have experience with kids this age going to a bottle? Could I lose them if they don't get enough milk?? I had them locked in the barn last night and was sure they'd be ready to take a bottle this morning, but not so much. I feel so bad for them, they are hoarse from crying. Thanks, D

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry that you are having to go thought his. Have you tried to give that doe some Red Cell? That would be great for her to help her and get her iron up.
    On those babies, you can not give up on the bottle. It sounds like you might have to try several different nipples. They have to have one that is somewhat like moms shape. I know when I had a bottle baby it took me several different nipples to get the right one, and she did not like the animals ones, it was just the human nipples.
    They will need to have milk, because they are just to young to do with out.
    Good Luck.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    As to the mom you need to give her some iron. You can get iron injectable and give her 1cc a day for 7 days. I did this with my pygmy doe back last spring and I know it is what saved her life. Red Cell may work too, I am not familiar with it so I can't give my oppion on it

As to the kids - I like Sweetgoats suggestions

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would get some red cell in that goat asap....

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How are mom and baby doing? I have thought about you but I never got a chance to ask.

I hope all is better.