Need Some Baby Bunny Help

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by GotmygoatMTJ, Mar 6, 2011.

1. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Our rabbit Spaz just gave birth today. We knew she was due today and she had them in the box.

Just kinda wondering what else needs to be done? Both for momma and the babies. Also Spaz wasn't in the box when we checked. She had just given birth while we were out there, just didn't know it. Is it normal for her to be out of the box???

Also, our other rabbit Ambrosia was supposed to kit yesterday, but didn't. Is it normal for them to go longer then their due date? She pulled out her hair and nested in her box but no babies.

Rabbit newbie needing help and advice!
    Thank you!!!

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Yes its completely normal for her to be out of the box after kindling. I rarely saw my does in the box, they usually just feed once at night. You can tell if she is feeding them if you pick them up and their bellies are round. You shouldn't have to do much for them, just check the babies and remove any dead ones. I used dryer lint to line the nest when its cold out if mom doesn't pull enough hair to keep them warm. I usually check the babies daily.
    Clean any wet spots out of the nest around 2 weeks, and every week after that to prevent wet-tail. Mom will usually pull more hair to replace what you took out, or add some more lint. I worm my bunnies with Corid at weaning.
    Its normal for them to go a couple days after their due date.

3. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I've only had one rabbit give birth. I too was concerned that she wasnt in there with them but it ended up being totally normal. Maggies advise is right on. Boy...glad I wasnt a rabbit baby. Not a whole lot of mama loven goen on there. Oh ya, when she does go in there to feed, she stands up and the babies lay on their backs to nurse. When they get older, they like through themselves under her. No wonder she's not to excited with her duties!

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Thank you both for your help! We are thinking there may be 5 or 6 babies in the box. All alive today. What is the normal death rate for a litter that large?

Hopefully the other doe will go today. They will be purebred(unpedigreed) Lionheads. Spaz is a minilop that was bred to our lionhead buck. So, it would be nice to have some purebreds to go along with it.

Thank you both for your help, it was greatly appreciated!! :D

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Spaz's babies are doing goood. Thought Ambrosia was going to go last night. Making noise, in her box, plucking her fur. But this morning there wasn't a single baby in her box, and no signs of blood. ?! False pregnancy? Are they common in rabbits?

6. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Sounds pretty normal. Usually if you have a small one in the litter they might die, but other than that if any die I would start looking at what is going wrong. After mom's kindle I usually top dress some calf manna on their rabbit food it's a great pick up for them and helps the milk come on good. The biggest thing is to make sure the doe has plenty of fresh water available, no water means no milk for kits. Also if it's cold and mom didn't pull enough hair or you didn't put enough hay in the box you may lose one to cold, a heat lamp pointed in the dirrection of the cage takes the chill off. I've had lionheads raise 9 kits before with no problems, so you should not be losing any kits if everything is in order.

It is possible to have a false pregnancy, if you can gently feel her abdomen you should know if she's got kits in their or not. This far along you should be able to feel hard lumps in her tummy. Be gentle though cause you don't want to harm them any.

7. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hopefully the other doe will go today. They will be purebred(unpedigreed) Lionheads. Spaz is a minilop that was bred to our lionhead buck. So, it would be nice to have some purebreds to go along with it

If I read this right your doe is a minilop? So they will not be purebred lion heads. You may end up with some lionlops though. To tell if they will have a mane they should be pink around the neck. Lionheads that will be double maned at birth are pink there and on the back hindquarters.
    And false pergnacies are possible- do you know how to palpate. You can press pretty hard and see if you can feel anything in there. I have had does pull fur upto 2 days before they actually kindle. Good luck

8. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Thank you both. :) We have 2 does. One doe is a minilop-she had babies. The other doe is a lionhead-and she hasnt had babies. She is two days late now. Will have to check her abdomen and see if there really are babies in there.